• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rgone you should like this, more to come

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dave, love the write up. You inspired me to try some different things now. Instead of just using benching programs, I think I will build a pretty good size HD movie file in Power Director and see how long it takes to render it at different clock speed presets I have saved in Bios. For me that will mean more anyway since that is what I do with my computer anyway.

It was nice to see the PII hold its own against the FX4.

hey Dave, finally found this thread after days of searching and it's full of exactly what i need!

i'm running the same exact mobo and X2 555 and i'm having major problems trying to unlock it. i'm running FA BIOS and not only is there no ACC there's no APM, i'm effectively locked out of unlocking. i'm running Win8.1 and thinking that may be the problem, what BIOS version did you run to unlock it?

Hi there fella, do you have a rev 4, or rev5? blue or brown pcb??
Apm isn't included on the rev4 although I know of a bios upodate for the rev 4that can allow it to function. Rev5 has a totally different bios chip to rev 4 (double the size).
Note apm mode will only show when you put in an fx piledriver/zamebzi cpu, apm and turbo is disabled in the bios when a phenom II is used .

To unlock it should look like this

Open DSC_0180.jpg

see cpu unlock disabled, and only 2 cores. DSC_0181.jpg

then enable cpu unlock DSC_0182.jpg

save bios, reboot the computer enter bios and if lucky you should see 4 cores back in the bios (4cores)[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• DSC_0183.jpg
    DSC_0183.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 215
Last edited:
if you unlock 4 cores the computer posts but once it gets past the irq screen, or windows loading screen and reboots, then if your windows is x64 bit, the cpu was locked as an x2 for a reason. But it should unlock as a B55 in a windows x86.

I've tried everything 1 stick of ram in every slot, all sticks of ram, lower ram speed, voltages lower higher for all critical areas ie cpu-nb,cpu v-core, lower cpu speeds, you name it, it just refused to play ball in an x64 environment.

Once I unlock the cpu mode even if I disable core 2 and core 3 it still won't work in an x64 environment. but windows x86 no probs.

Cheers mate!

Rev5 with the black pcb running the FA BIOS. System runs win8.1 64bit(clean instal) so x86.

I enable core unlock and on restart it gets lost in a boot cycle, then after powering down it'll reboot into default. This has gotta mean the cores are unstable and the BIOS auto management can't cope.

From what I've found there's no question whether or not the 555 can unlock, it's just a issue getting it to sometimes. Any tips on power management to help the mobo cope?

Last edited:
Cheers mate!

Rev5 with the black pcb running the FA BIOS. System runs win8.1(clean instal) so x86.

I enable core unlocked andon restart it gets lost in a boot cycle, then after powering down it'll reboot into default. This has gotta mean the cores are unstable and the BIOS auto management can't cope.

From what I've found there's no question whether or not the 555 can unlock, it's just a issue getting it to sometimes. Any tips on power management to help the mobo cope?

2nd to last core is almost always the dud core. Leave it disabled. Enable cores 0,1, and 3 and see if it clears post and boots windows. Sometimes activating cores requires a v core bump even at stock clocks.

GLHF

Nope you are n0t running x86. x64 is 64 bit platform while x86 is 32bit platform. And "davedree" said his 64bit O/S would not boot to windows with his 64bit / x64 O/S.
RGone...

Heh, that made me laugh.

Well it was only to get the stuff straight as possible. Glad you got a chuckle. I chuckled when I read 64 bit was x86.
RGone...ster.

Cheers mate!

Rev5 with the black pcb running the FA BIOS. System runs win8.1 64bit(clean instal) so x86.

I enable core unlock and on restart it gets lost in a boot cycle, then after powering down it'll reboot into default. This has gotta mean the cores are unstable and the BIOS auto management can't cope.

It sounds like you have a faulty core 2 or core 3 after enabling core unlock and restarting, the pc won't come back on until the board has sensed a bad start and reflushed the bios with a default bios setting. like shrimp said disable both of the last cores, then restart pc if it now posts then enable core 3 first, leaving core 2 disabled and see if you can at least get an x3 out of the cpu.

Back