• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolermaster v8 GTS Won't fit my LGA-1151. Touching 980gtx!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GenieGOR

So this cooler is touching my GPA. I have the MSI X power gaming titanium. If I put the 980GTX Ti number one PCI express the cooler will not fit because there's no room. Should I move the gpu to slot 3 pci express?

This board does 2x SLI via slots 1/3.

I ended up cutting the stupid plastic piece that was in the front and pushing the pipes back a bit. A very slight bend back.

Card fits perfectly. Not sure why but maybe it was inconsistent manufacturing?

Card fits perfectly. Not sure why but maybe it was inconsistent manufacturing?
Doubtful... I would have returned that overprice weight instead of hacking it up though I have to admit. Oh well. :)

I did a stress test and under load it doesn't go above 55-60 range. Is that good? @ 4.6 ghz I got 2300 single core score and 10,090 in multi core. Putting me ahead of the 5930 by 500-600 in single core performance and only 800 behind in multi core.

This professor is a BEAST!

I looked at the Corsair 90mm and 120mm water coolers. Pre-filled no maintenance. Does the fan bolt to the cooler rad, and then I can mount it to the rear of my case? I have a 90mm rear fan now. If so I can remove that fan, and mount the block and fan there.

Personally I think the v8 GTS looks cool, and performs well. Just a little loud, and huge. The Noctua Dh14 is quieter and works just as well, more uniform shape, doesn't look as cool tho.

Cheap AOI is that. Cheap.

Performance is what matters. How often do you gaze into the case? When you sit down and when you walk away I bet. Do you have people come by and gaze daily into the case? Dreaming of owning that massive heatsink? Prolly not.

If you have a 90mm rear case fan the case is really outdated. A 90mm AIO is much worse that the air cooler you have now. Physics and surface cooling area are involved.

The Corsair AIO's aren't worth it, don't waste your money. I'll gladly run Noctua over Corsair.

If you are going to get an AIO, get a Corsair H100i GTX (240 mm), Corsair H110i GTX, or a EK Predator 240mm (in order of rising price.)

I have a Corsair H110i GTX with different fans (the stock fans are loud)...works great...love it.

Corsairs would be last on my list honestly...we see too many issues with their stuff. Chances are, you will be fine, but...

I would look at (if you are not going to expand), The Coolermaster Seidon or Nepton.. NZXT Kraken. Thermaltake Big Water 3.0. If you are going to expand, look at the EK Predator of the Swiftech units.

Corsairs would be last on my list honestly...we see too many issues with their stuff. Chances are, you will be fine, but...

I would look at (if you are not going to expand), The Coolermaster Seidon or Nepton.. NZXT Kraken. Thermaltake Big Water 3.0. If you are going to expand, look at the EK Predator of the Swiftech units.

Corsair is last on my list also, I'll run air before using them.
Honestly, good air coolers are cheaper and quieter than the Corsair AIO lineup and perform better most of the time too.

The pump mount on the Thermaltake is tricky to get on (you have to hold the pump and the bracket while you try to position and get the screws on). Once it's on it's good...just a pain to get lined up without gooping or squishing your thermal past around.

(I tried the Thermaltake 3.0...went back to the Corsair H110i GTX...liked it better).

Back