• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Ordered My Skylake Setup. Is This Good Enough and Concerns.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How much Vram does Dying Light use maxed out?
A shed load... I google searched and found this...: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/03/10/dying_light_video_card_performance_review/10#.VqvElLIrK70

@ 2560x1440 it maxed out the 4GB on a GTX 980.

In the table above you will see all of the video cards we tested today and the maximum utilized VRAM capacity in Dying Light at said resolution with maximum game settings. By maximum game settings we mean "Best Quality" global option and then raising Shadow Map Size to "Very High" and View Distance to maximum.

In all cases above you will note all video cards are hitting maximum capacities possible. The GeForce GTX 970 maxed out at 3.6GB, we could not get it to run above this, even at 4K. However, as we indicated, Dying Light was playable at 1440p without stutter. Specific optimizations have gone into this game for the GeForce GTX 970 as of the 1.3.0 patch.

The issue to focus on however is that all of these video cards are hitting the maximum capacities in Dying Light. This game demands high VRAM capacities to alleviate stutter. We found that in VRAM limited situations the game would stutter when being grabbed by zombies, or having to combat zombies. There would be a hang, or pause, or freeze if the resolution was too high for the video card.

For example, at 4K this happened on the GTX 980 and R9 290X, the 4GB of VRAM wasn't enough at 4K. On the 2GB video cards trying to run them at high setting sat 1080p also caused stuttering. That's right, even 2GB video cards had limitations at 1080p when trying to run higher settings.

Our recommendations, based on our experiences, lead us to recommend these VRAM capacities for the best enjoyment of Dying Light.

1080p - 3GB VRAM Video Cards

1440p - 4GB VRAM Video Cards

4K - 6GB+ VRAM Video Cards

This is a huge open world, there is a lot of detail in Dying Light. Running "High" textures, and "Very High" Shadow Map with "Maximum" View Distance will eat into your VRAM big-time.

He does have a 6GB GTX 980Ti, Hardocp says Dying Light would max out a GTX 980 card. It would be interesting to see what the OP is using for V ram?

Last edited:
He has one or two 980ti's...not sure, lol

I am not sure what 'maxed out' means in that article in regards to AA.. they mention a couple other settings but MS AA at 8x with 4k would push it through the roof. No need for so much AA with that pixel density... I'd bet money that is at least a big part of the problem.

He does have a 6GB GTX 980Ti, Hardocp says Dying Light would max out a GTX 980 card. It would be interesting to see what the OP is using for V ram?

Dying Light sits around 5200mb per card on my SLI setup. That is with the newest update or with the new DLC which includes the update. Before the update OMG couldn't get more than 30 fps with SLI 980gtx ti's LOL Bad programming.

He has one or two 980ti's...not sure, lol

I am not sure what 'maxed out' means in that article in regards to AA.. they mention a couple other settings but MS AA at 8x with 4k would push it through the roof. No need for so much AA with that pixel density... I'd bet money that is at least a big part of the problem.

Running SLI now. I get 60fps solid on dying light now. Ultra high max everything. AA off, but everything else maxed including view distance. Solid. Rise of the tomb raider I was getting 35-40 fps ultra high everything AA off. Now that nvidia gave us an update a few weeks back that tweaked for the game. I get 52-60 fps ultra high settings.

I say its all in the drivers. If the game is programed well and nvidia keeps making updates and good drivers we will all be very happy.

5200MB is a lot of V ram, glad the games are working much better with SLI driver update.:)

Last edited:
Back