• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Cooling 3570k (Ivy Bridge) @ 4.5ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LGkoster

Registered
I'm going to begin my gaming build soon.
I plan to purchase an i5 3570k processor and overclock @ 4.5ghz ; in pair with Maximus V Formula mobo.
(I may decide to oc to 4.2/4.3ghz)

My question is, (considering this is my first build), what cooler would handle this IB processor @ 4.5ghz with safe temperatures?

I'm looking for a cooler that is "easier" to install for beginner builders.
I would rather not tamper with water coolers in which you have to put together etc.
A Corsair Liquid Cooler, is more so in my ball park. Or a regular heatsink/fan combo. Thanks to all in advance. :)

Welcome!

What case do you have? Do you have room for a H100i or Swiftech H220? If not, grab a H80i.

You can get away with a much less expensive mobo, FYI..that board is really made for extreme overclocking (Dry Ice, Liquid Nitrogen) so a lot of the features it has you will not be using...

Welcome!

What case do you have? Do you have room for a H100i or Swiftech H220? If not, grab a H80i.

You can get away with a much less expensive mobo, FYI..that board is really made for extreme overclocking (Dry Ice, Liquid Nitrogen) so a lot of the features it has you will not be using...

Thank you! And I'm using the "Super Aeolus" RAIDMAX case. (Thanks dad!).
Case:
http://www.raidmax.com/chassis/super_aeolus.html

At the top of the case there are 2 x 120mm mounts for fans I'm pretty sure. So I do believe the H100i would fit fine, though not positive. As for the Swiftech H220, im not familiar with it. I've been leaning towards the H100i, but I've heard of the original H100 (not sure if there's a difference) leaking, and I really wouldn't want to risk that leak considering I would have to mount the radiator + fans on the top of the case.

And as for the motherboard, what would you suggest? (or what information would you need to make a suggestion?)

If it helps, I use a T.R.U.E. 120 heatsink from my old Q6600, and attached a 120mm fan to it.
At 4.6 GHz, my temps max out at 75 after 2 hours of Prime.

If it helps, I use a T.R.U.E. 120 heatsink from my old Q6600, and attached a 120mm fan to it.
At 4.6 GHz, my temps max out at 75 after 2 hours of Prime.
That CPU is three generations old... and is like an apple to baseball comparison to me :p. Being more serious, the Q6600 puts out more heat than the 3570k by far, but there are less expensive coolers that will do the job, like Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo.

As far as the motheboard, the Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 is a solid board for much cheaper. I would look at that or perhaps a Giga Z77X UP4, or something in that area. You arent breaking any records and are running 'normal' overclock so you dont have to spend that cash if you dont want to. :thup:

That CPU is three generations old... and is like an apple to baseball comparison to me :p.

I think he meant he's using his old cooler from his Q6600 on his new sig rig.

Earthdog is right, that mobo will be overkill for you if you only want to OC to 4.5. But, sometimes overkill is nice if you have the scratch. :thup:

That CPU is three generations old... and is like an apple to baseball comparison to me :p. Being more serious, the Q6600 puts out more heat than the 3570k by far, but there are less expensive coolers that will do the job, like Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo.

As far as the motheboard, the Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 is a solid board for much cheaper. I would look at that or perhaps a Giga Z77X UP4, or something in that area. You arent breaking any records and are running 'normal' overclock so you dont have to spend that cash if you dont want to. :thup:

I think what he meant was that he's using his T.R.U.E 120 on his 3570K

Edit: Ninja'ed

Ok, I appreciate the help man! I'll definitely check those motherboards out, and continue to debate between the H80i and H100i. I'll come upon a conclusion eventually! Probably when It gets down to buying time Lol. Also, would you suggest I just go with the 2500k?

The thing is, I play a few games that a CPU demanding rather than GPU. FSX (Flight Simulator) being one of them, I'm not sure if you're familiar with that game but it is VERY demanding on the CPU end.

Taking i7 3570K to 4.5 GHz will definitely require very good cooling. Also, keep in mind that if you're unlucky and get a bad chip, you may not be able to reach that goal no matter what.

I would consider 4.5 GHz pretty close if not already extreme overclocking and if you're really serious about it, there's a little point in using any closed water loop. Either of the Noctua NH-D14 or Phanteks PH-TC14PE will do much better: better price and much less noise.

Now, both of these heat sinks are quite big (actually huge is probably a better word). While they should fit without difficulties into your case, you should check that they won't obstruct the memory slots. Basically, any high profile memory is out of question. [This is probably the only advantage a closed water loop has over air - the space)

Noctua has a very nice memory compatibility list so I recommend you check that.

p.s. if you were ok just a little less overclock, around 4GHz, the CM 212+ EVO will handle that nicely for a fraction of the price

Last edited:
4.5Ghz is not 'extreme' and I would imagine the vast majority of IB CPU's will meet that clockspeed... I defined extreme overclocking as using DI/LN2, and that is for 5GHz+ to well over 6GHz (for clarity).

You dont really need the NH-D15 or that Phanteks, FYI. The Evo 212 will do it with no problems and save you $50 in the process. Look around the forums and see. Plenty have had success with that setup. ;)

4.5Ghz is not 'extreme' and I would imagine the vast majority of IB CPU's will meet that clockspeed... I defined extreme overclocking as using DI/LN2, and that is for 5GHz+ to well over 6GHz (for clarity).

You dont really need the NH-D15 or that Phanteks, FYI. The Evo 212 will do it with no problems and save you $50 in the process. Look around the forums and see. Plenty have had success with that setup. ;)

While I agree that 4.5ghz is only a subtle OC, in my statistics 2 out of 3 IB won't reach 4.5 easily... :rain:

I don't know if a 212+/212 Evo could hit 4.5GHz most of the time on a Ivy Bridge CPU. I've seen many top out on 4.2-4.3GHz with that heatsink.

You don't need super high end air/all in one liquid coolers either. That's a more mid-range air cooling range, look at the TRUE Spirit 140 or the NZXT Havik.

It did on mine... well the regular 212+ anyway... and my chip wasnt a great one...(new one is nice at 1.2v 4.5Ghz, ;)) average at best (1.34v @ 4.5GHz). Perhaps mine wasnt leaky or something, I dont know, but it should work unless you have a terrible CPU, IMO.

While I agree that 4.5ghz is only a subtle OC, in my statistics 2 out of 3 IB won't reach 4.5 easily... :rain:
Then those sucked. Plain and simple. I'm 4/4 (3570k/3770k). :thup:

Back