• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enough cooling or do I need to upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Awmskid13

Hi!

New member and my english is kinda bad so bare with me.

Currently I'n running a 10900K(Sp 106 with only XMP on in bios and MCE is handeld by Asus) on a Asus Maximus XII Formula motherboard with thermal grizzly kryonaut paste on it with an Noctua NH-D15 cooler and when I run Cinnebench R20/23 my temps are peaking at 72C and in gaming 74-75C.

My question is do I need to change to an AIO cooler or is this fine?

Your temps are very good. The Max temp for your CPU is 100° C and you are well below that under load. The Noctua NH-D15 is one of the best air coolers on the market and will beat many AIOs and are as good as the top AIO coolers.

:welcome: to the forums and enjoy your rig!

Your temps are very good. The Max temp for your CPU is 100° C and you are well below that under load. The Noctua NH-D15 is one of the best air coolers on the market and will beat many AIOs and are as good as the top AIO coolers.

:welcome: to the forums and enjoy your rig!
Oh so there is nothing to be worried about then, this has been bugging me for a while bcs before I did this upgrade I used to have an 8600K with this cooler and that went to 77C on 5,0ghz so everything above 70C is scary haha.
Thank you and I will :)

No, nothing to be worried about. A good cooler like your D15 cools as good if not better than most AIO coolers. The reason most people use AIO is because they tend to be quieter but that doesn't come into play with the D15 because it is so quiet already. I use a Chromax D15 on my 11700k with zero problems. Do you use both fans?

No, nothing to be worried about. A good cooler like your D15 cools as good if not better than most AIO coolers. The reason most people use AIO is because they tend to be quieter but that doesn't come into play with the D15 because it is so quiet already. I use a Chromax D15 on my 11700k with zero problems. Do you use both fans?
That's true, but I saw a video from GM when he was comparing the arctic liquid freezer ii 360 vs EK 360 Aio and in the chart you could see that the Noctua cooler was 5-9C highter then them so that has been bugging me right now if I should upgrade to one of them or stick with this. To awsner your question, yes I use both fans. I have 3 140 front fans, one 140 over the cpu cooler(On the backside) and one in the rear of my case.

My man... the chips throttle at 100C to protect themselves. You're ~25C away from that. The general rule of thumb is to run 10C below that max temp in stress tests (or w/e the most stressful thing you do on your PC).

Again, there is absolutely no need to spend money on an AIO from what you've shared so far. :)

That air cooler is a beast and as bug said, competes with some AIOs (typically 2x120/140mm ones... 3x120/140 typically beats out most/all air and does so, generally with less noise).

I know above 70C 'may be scary', but FACTS say otherwise. You can run that CPU in the 90s and still be fine. The CPUs don't shut off to protect themselves for another few C after 100. ;)

Video from GM? You mean GN (Gamers Nexus)? Because Ford tells me otherwise. :p :rofl:

I wouldn't worry about it. Too many variables to consider on how they got to those temps. Unless you want an AIO I would say your are perfectly fine and of those two I would go for the Arctic but that is my personal hatred of all things ek. If you are looking for water cooling in general then go full custom and do it right.

Back