• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need to reseat my cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bluemilk

I have my i5-2500k cooler overclocked to 4.4 GHZ at 1.312v at the moment. I have just completed a basic stability test of 5 runs of Linx and would be leaving it running overnight later.

However, I noticed the max temperatures reported in Real Temp have a maximum of 74 degree Celsius. Isn't this too high if I am using an after-market cooler? The cooler I am using is the Noctua NH-U12p SE2 with the low-noise adapter.

Secondly, people are always talking about making sure your temps are below a certain amount. In this case, let's say the max temp is 75 degrees. Are they talking about the maximum temps or the average temperatures?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

people talk about max temps. If you're using the ULNA you've probably just got lack of airflow...turn it up and see if you get a significant cooling boost.

people talk about max temps. If you're using the ULNA you've probably just got lack of airflow...turn it up and see if you get a significant cooling boost.

I just tried it with the stock cooler. Not much of a difference. Only a 2 degree Celsius difference. :(

You're tightening the mounting down all the way, right?

I think so. It's getting late here (i'm in Australia), so I will double check tomorrow. Problem is, a shop here installed the CPU cooler, so I am not sure if they did a proper job applying the thermal paste...

Well, you said you tried with the stock cooler, did you not reapply thermal paste?

try this.

troubleshooting.png

Back