• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling issue or Hardware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scientist

Registered
Ive just built myself 2 new I7 builds, the one in question is my 5820k
the specs are :
mobo-asrock x99x killer
cpu-5820k
cooler-kraken x61
ram-gskill ddr4-2400

im not sure if this is a cooling issue or if its maybe related more to a driver or hardware
but im just using the OC tweaker auto overclock where i just click what speed i want and it configures it for me for that speed
what happens is im running windows 8.1 pro and when i goto login after putting my password the system kinda pauses or hangs for a min no error msgs or anything it just simply takes longer to actually get into windows,and even if i take the OC off and just go back to default it still does the same thing, my temps have never hit over 32c on the cpu even with the 4.6 ghz OC and usually i wont even get above 28c
i was thinking it might be a cooling issue like with thermal paste cuz i have ran into various situations on other builds where pc starts acting funny when the thermal paste is almost gone like random small freezes or inputs not working just random stuff like that,that will get on your nerves.
So what i have tried doing so far was pulled my cooler off the cpu and when i did there wasnt hardly any thermal paste on there if there was it was kinda flaky very easy for me to scrape off so i reapplied a nice thick coat to it reseated it and fired it back up under stock conditions loaded straight into windows with no lag so i said problem fixed or atleast so i thought it was, then rebooted tried goin back to 4.6ghz OC and the lag hits me again so this has really gotten me puzzled,so i have just reverted everything back to stock settings and im at 3.3GHZ no OC right now and im stuck tryin to figure out what i am doing wrong.thanks for all the help and advice in adv.

Idk I have not even begun to do that yet,just gotten started just built

The only freezes r at boot or logging on unless I have it on OC then it's more noticeable at least as far as my input in concerned (my keyboard quits responding is really all) the system itself doesn't actually seem like it's freezing just gets slower

The only other way I have found that is a temporary fix besides the thermal paste is to reformat my OS drive but I don't even have anything installed that runs at startup except the very basic like antivirus and system drivers that's y I said idk if this is s cooling issue or hardware issue cuz both things I have done have helped

What antivirus is it? That could be the culprit.
Any motherboard software installed? (not drivers, but actual software)
Any keyboard/mouse software installed?

I use avira the same thing I've been using on all my computers ,I don't bother installing any of the motherboard software hardly ever cuz that usually will be the cause of a small problem,the keyboard and mouse doesn't have any actual software to it,one thing that got me thinking is the kraken cam software I remember when I bought the cooler and reading reviews I saw a lot of people had some issue out of that but how else would I control my fans connected to it without it,but of course after I reformat it's no longer there and system is working ok it just got me thinking but of course I'll have to do more research on it but seems like a possibility cuz it for 1.does run at startup so it would have an effect on booting into windows and it loading up and 2.does have to do with cooling witch I found this thread on this site regarding it http://www.overclock.net/t/1555671/kraken-x61-cam-issues

I will know if I'm right when I get home and try removing it cuz I've had this OC run at the highest 4.6 OC without this issue before I just have to find out what it is that was causing it to do that

I don't bother installing any of the motherboard software hardly ever cuz that usually will be the cause of a small problem

You don't need to install all the MB software, but you do need the Chipset drivers, the USB3.0 drivers, network drivers (if Win 8 can not find drivers) and the mouse drivers to use all the features on the mouse. On the USB 3.0, if you don't install drivers, it will run as 2.0.
When I do a build, I never let the install program on the MB CD install everything, I do it all manually. So far no lag or any other problems on my systems.

All of the drivers are installed that's usually the very first thing I do after I put the OS on and I usually just get all of the drivers from the mobo website but I don't use any of the little software or those little programs they include on the disc because they hardly work right and usually ends up creating some kind of headache

All of the drivers are installed that's usually the very first thing I do after I put the OS on and I usually just get all of the drivers from the mobo website but I don't use any of the little software or those little programs they include on the disc because they hardly work right and usually ends up creating some kind of headache

I agree on the little junk stuff they send with the CD, I do let it install the .net stuff, that's important for some things. Basically if I don't need it I don't install it :)
Just wanted to make sure you had the important stuff :thup:

It's not a huge problem but I'll just have to deal with it until I figure out y my systems takes a min to get past the login screen I know that's not normal but my system does run normal both OC and not OC it just bugs me making me think there is something wrong.ive tried running the little tune up programs then uninstalling them and that worked only once the first time I rebooted after running the program then it was slow again.so now that I've made myself a backup I'll just reformat the OS drive once again then start installing things one by one until I figure out what's causing it ,unfortunately that's the only thing I think will help me actually narrow it down

Back