• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling my amd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

random44

Registered
Hi All,

My cpu is athlon 6400(32. GHZ) and looking around the max temp for this particular CPU is 70 degree looking at forums.

now my cpu runs at 68-76 and could have gone up higher if i let the prime test continued.

I have two 80mm cheap fans sucking air into the case and the power supply unit fan creating the flow by getting rid of the hot air.

now I am also planning to install two more exhuast in the back so that I would have

2 x 80mm sucking air in
1x 120mm exhaust
1x 80mm exhaust
2x fans on the power supply unit which I assume do push air out thus exhaust .

and the cpu fan is the normal one that comes with the cpu.

I have overclocked the cpu by around 80Mhz and it can't cope with it because it is really hot.

so my question is ,

can air cooling work to cool down nowaday systems if they are overclocked ?

does having extra fans in the case to create a flow help with the cpu and gpu temperature and if so how much ?

what is the solution to my cpu overheating , more internal fans or simply change the heatsink ?

I have seen some heatsink which are cheap chinese and have dual fan for around £13 , would they do the same job as lets say a good brand such as

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noctua-NH...ponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item1e8def9342

cheap
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90mm-Dual...ponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item58ae354e42

or would just a heatsink with no fan like this be better ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zalman-CN...ponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item1e883de79f

Hi All,

My cpu is athlon 6400(32. GHZ) and looking around the max temp for this particular CPU is 70 degree looking at forums.

now my cpu runs at 68-76 and could have gone up higher if i let the prime test continued.

What temp is this? Is the the CPU socket temp? Or is this the core temp? What program are you using to monitor temps. Around here we use HWMonitor. HWMonitor gives both the "CPU" temp (i.e., socket temp) and the "Core" temp which is the temp inside the processor. Both are important and have different safe maximum levels. 70c would be a safe max CPU socket temp. But we need to know what the core temp is running. Those CPUs tend to get unstable (think blue screen) when core temps get above about 55c.

I have two 80mm cheap fans sucking air into the case and the power supply unit fan creating the flow by getting rid of the hot air.

now I am also planning to install two more exhuast in the back so that I would have

2 x 80mm sucking air in
1x 120mm exhaust
1x 80mm exhaust
2x fans on the power supply unit which I assume do push air out thus exhaust .

and the cpu fan is the normal one that comes with the cpu.

I have overclocked the cpu by around 80Mhz and it can't cope with it because it is really hot.

The CPU you are running was the fastest and hottest AMD of it's day. It ran on the edge of being too hot even at stock frequencies and voltages.

so my question is ,

can air cooling work to cool down nowaday systems if they are overclocked ?

If you are referring to your system as a "nowaday" one you are quite a bit behind the times. That technology is about eight years old.

does having extra fans in the case to create a flow help with the cpu and gpu temperature and if so how much ?

It can of case air flow is inadequate to prevent buildup of hot air. If that is the situation you find yourself trying to cool the heat sink with air that is getting hotter and hotter.

You can test the adequacy of your case air flow simply by removing the case side panel to give the CPU heat sink fan access to fresh air. If temps go down by several degrees you need more and or better case fans.

what is the solution to my cpu overheating , more internal fans or simply change the heatsink ?

Could be both. Take the side panel off and test the case air flow issue as I mentioned above. IF it doesn't help then you only need a better CPU cooler.

I have seen some heatsink which are cheap chinese and have dual fan for around £13 , would they do the same job as lets say a good brand such as

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noctua-NH...ponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item1e8def9342

No they would not. Don't waste your money. The Noctua DH15 is probably the best air cooler available and the Zalman you link would also be a vast improvement over the stock HSF you are using. If you get either the Noctual or the Zalman, realize they are both about 160mm tall. Make sure your case is wide enough for them to fit in and still get the side panel on. IF the case is not wider than 7.5" they for sure will not fit. That's measuring across the top panel.

cheap
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90mm-Dual...ponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item58ae354e42

or would just a heatsink with no fan like this be better ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zalman-CN...ponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item1e883de79f

Last edited:
Thanks for your help

What temp is this? Is the the CPU socket temp? Or is this the core temp? What program are you using to monitor temps. Around here we use HWMonitor. HWMonitor gives both the "CPU" temp (i.e., socket temp) and the "Core" temp which is the temp inside the processor. Both are important and have different safe maximum levels. 70c would be a safe max CPU socket temp. But we need to know what the core temp is running. Those CPUs tend to get unstable (think blue screen) when core temps get above about 55c.

II use core temp and hwmonitor. I am monitoring the core temp and mine is dueal core. They run at around 65-75 or can even go higher if pushed but I am not doing it as don’t want to burn the cpu
I didn’t check the socket temp but will check tonight.
My cpu normal temp is between 40-60ish .

If you are referring to your system as a "nowaday" one you are quite a bit behind the times. That technology is about eight years old.
It was a question for gaining better knowledge . I am soon going onto the amd fx which clocks at around 5 I think so want to know whether air path is waste of time or will it work.

So no to cheap dual fan heatsink ?

You won't get an FX six core or an FX eight core to 5 ghz on air. Not even with the best air cooler. A four core FX to 5 ghz on air? Maybe. And if you want to overclock that high be prepared to spend $200 (US) on a motherboard that will handle that amount of heat and voltage draw. Look at the Asus Sabertooth. The overclocking community has established the fact that you cannot overclock FX CPUs to high levels without a very high end motherboard.

If you plan to overclock an FX 8 core to 5 ghz you will need water cooling. With the Noctua D15 you could probably get it to 4.6-4.8 ghz. But the bigger problem is the motherboard components (particularly, the "VRM") getting too hot and down-throttling the CPU to protect itself. You seem to be only focusing on the CPU temp and it's cooling. I'm saying to you there is another huge issue you need to address and that is the ability of the motherboard to handle the load of the CPU.

The community here will only recommend 5 or 6 motherboards for serious overclocking of the FX eight cores and they are all in the $200+ range.

I think you would be smarter to go with an 8350 FX. With the 9590 you have paid AMD to overclock it for you. It's just a higher binned 8350.

so keep an eye on the board temp in another word.

the hwmonitor has a temo for DIMM chipset aux etc so keep an eye on all of those in a way .

is msi boards anygood for AMD ?

I have alwyas used abit and msi.

it may sound silly me spending in excess of $500 on my cpu and board but been tight on the cooling.

I just think the $100+ is a lot for the noctua and why i want to get a cheap $40 from ebay but maybe i am wrong.

Do not, I repeat, do not go with MSI! They have a bad reputation in overclocker's land. They have weak VRMs (Voltage Regulation Module).

If you do not overclock the 9590 then the stock heat sink would suffice but you would still need a stout motherboard or you will get down-throttling when under heavy load.

Okay, I understand you are on a budget but I must tell you we have worked with many, many people on this forum who put all their eggs in the killer CPU basket and then skimped on the motherboard, the PSU, the case and the cooling. Then they come to us saying, "What's wrong with my computer? When I play games it slows down and stutters or it blue screens."

My friend, I don't want you to waste your money. Successful overclocking depends on having quality components from the ground up: A case with good ventilation. Excellent CPU cooler. Quality PSU. Stout motherboard. If any of these elements is not up to snuff it is like the weak link in a chain. Successful overclocking is not dependent on upgrading one component but it must be done with a systems approach.

So, if you cannot afford to upgrade the supporting components and get that killer CPU all at the same time, then don't buy the CPU first. Start upgrading the supporting components and then get the CPU. Add each one as you can afford it and then when they are in place, get the killer CPU. Build a solid foundation over time. Pairing an 8 core FX CPU with inferior components is like building a skyscraper on top of a chicken coop foundation. And plan your build. Planning should start with the case as it mus have room to support your cooling solution.

I would just like to add that the 9590 doesn't come with a heatsink as far as I know, they recommend agood AIO cooler for it TBH. Plus a case with ample airfolw is a must for something like that. As Trents said you would be better off with an 835 and work up rather than pay a premium for the 9590 and then have to downclock because of heat issues.

hmm , I have sort of already ordered the msi.
do they overheat in a way ?

re fans , I can afford to buy the expensive one but as I said, I need some help to undertand how a £2 fan is different from £15 .

I am not been funny but with my limited knowledge , I think if they have a same rpm then the air flow should be the same or close .
if both have 1500 rpm and one is £2 and ther other £15 then I don't even imaging the £15 is 1.5 times better. if you think it is then please enlighten me

same goes with heatsink , it is aluminium and fan so how does £12 dual fan differ from noctua from £60 noctua

I really appreciate if you can enlighten me .

re fans , I can afford to buy the expensive one but as I said, I need some help to undertand how a £2 fan is different from £15 .

I am not been funny but with my limited knowledge , I think if they have a same rpm then the air flow should be the same or close .
if both have 1500 rpm and one is £2 and ther other £15 then I don't even imaging the £15 is 1.5 times better. if you think it is then please enlighten me

same goes with heatsink , it is aluminium and fan so how does £12 dual fan differ from noctua from £60 noctua

If you can blobk the order on the MSI I would right now they have a habit of blowing up and they just can't handle the FX chips. Go to any forum the result will be the same.
As for fans and heat sinks you really do get what you pay for in most cases. All fans blow air you're correct, and all heatsinks will cool CPUs.
Look at it like a craftsman buys his tools. They all work just that some are more dependable and work a lot better with less effort from the craftsman himself.

Random, you came to us for input and seem hesitant to accept our counsel. Now you have some decisions to make. I hope you don't come back with disaster reports at a later date and give us opportunity to say, "We told you so."

It is critical to research these things thoroughly before purchasing components. I hope you can cancel you MSI purchase.

i will try but too late :(

should have asked sooner

what board do you guys normally use?

what are the good brands for overclocking ?

..sort of already? LOL Yes the MSI's over heat. I have expirienced this personally on multiple boards (used yo be a fanboy :chair:) The VRM's are to weak and just can't produce the kind of power these chips demand without excessive heat. i.e my North Bridge reports 115C PRIOR to firing up Prime!)

Cheaper fans use cheaper parts of course. They will be louder and will not last as long. That does not mean you should buy the best fans on the market, just do your homework. Case fans I tend to go middle of the road, but for CPU Coolers get the best. Modern heatsinks aren't just a block of machined aluminum anymore. The best will have a number of copper heatpipes (the larger the better) and a number of fins 9the more the better) this is why the best air coolers will also have multiple towers to maximize the Heatsink surface area and will also include High quality fans to push the heat from the sink to your exhaust fan.

On a side note you should also reconsider your intake exhaust configuration. Generally you will want more air being blown into the case than exhausting. This creates a "positive" pressure in your case and can help reduce the dust buildup.

I hope this all helps. Oh and Welcome to the Forums!!!! :salute:

having a quick look the msi 970 gaming does not mention the normal temp ranges in the manual.

where can I find out more. what is normally considered hot on boards?

LOL Just ask.

MSI 970A-G46 MOSFET/VRM HEAT ISSUES.

PLease keep in mind this thread does not mention my final outcome. I'm running the FX6200 at stock speeds with a socket temp of 71C and core temp around 50C. These temps are while gaming and not loading all 6 cores to 100%. Any overlock on this set up could be...bad.

The image below shows some of the mods I had to do, just to run at stock.

CPU Cooler-CoolerMaster 212 EVO
NorthBridge Heatsink-DeepCool NBridge8
VRM Cooling- 2x 60mm @100%

Attachments

• 20130623_133904.jpg
    20130623_133904.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Hi All,

Don't you mean Athlon 64 6400 3.2GHZ?
I have a Athlon 64 3000 1.8GHZ cpu in 1 of my 8 systems.

LOL Just ask.

MSI 970A-G46 MOSFET/VRM HEAT ISSUES.

PLease keep in mind this thread does not mention my final outcome. I'm running the FX6200 at stock speeds with a socket temp of 71C and core temp around 50C. These temps are while gaming and not loading all 6 cores to 100%. Any overlock on this set up could be...bad.

The image below shows some of the mods I had to do, just to run at stock.

CPU Cooler-CoolerMaster 212 EVO
NorthBridge Heatsink-DeepCool NBridge8
VRM Cooling- 2x 60mm @100%

The 212 or 212 EVO can't handle the FX 6 core or 8 core cpus, get a cooler with 6 heat pipes or more, I have a Phenom II 1090T 3.2GHZ running cooler than yours at full CPU load. Plus I'm using a V6GT cooler.
HWM_prime95.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back