• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling my computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aggeluska

Registered
Hello folks,

I get straight to the point . I have a rig with these components : Fx 6300 , DDR3 8GB , 1TB HDD, AMD R9 270 and artic cooling 550watt, case: Sharkoon VS3-S
The computer was working perfectly for 3-4 months straight , but suddenly while i wsa playing heavy games it was shutting off. at first i thought it was my PSU , i was skeptic about it even before i get it . So i gave it back and they sent me a new one . but still my computer it was shutting off whiel i was playing . after that i decided to clean my computer inside , remove all dust and renew the thermal paste on the CPU . After that my PC was fine again. After 3 months it started again shutting off . So i came into the conclusion that my problem was the CPU cooler. everytime i has the problem , i was cleaning the CPU cooler and everything worked fine again .

So currently i am thinking to buy a new CPU cooler but i dont have a clue which one is good and which not , and also I am afraid that it doesnt fit in my PC case . Could anyone one of you please suggest me a good cooler that could actually also fit in my case , without have air flow problems and space problem ?

thanks in advance ,

A.K

Your case is listed as supporting 160mm tower coolers on its website, which would cover many 120mm fan based coolers and even a few 140mm fan based coolers. A good budget option in the united states is the cooler maser 212+ evo, which is 159mm tall, so it would fit but only just. It might be different in germany though. Your best bet would be to tell us how much money you are looking to spend, and from what website you plan to buy.

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/be-quiet--Pure-Rock-Tower-Kuehler_980846.html

Is probably what i would go with. It doesnt look like you can find a cooler thats substantially better until you get up into the 70-80 range. That one actually performs a bit better than a 212+ evo from the reviews i glanced through, so it should be plenty to cool an fx6300 with a decent overclock. And at 155mm tall it will fit in your case, though i assume the 160mm clearance they give is assuming no fan on the side panel. So if you have a fan on the side panel over the cpu socket you will probably have to take it off.

May I suggest that if it is a problem with dust buildup that you may be better served by adding some filters on your intake instead. Most likely a new cooler will bind up and need cleaning as well.

Back