• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling my new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WiglyWorm

About half my parts are here, and I'll be getting my case/fans soon.

I'll be getting an 8800 ultra more likely than not (waiting on ATI to release their 3xxx offering and for prices to settle down with the GT's release) though that would also change if you folks appear nice enough to walk me through something i have no understanding of at all: OCing a video card.

Intel Q6600 on my gigabyte GA-p35-DS3L unless something really neat comes out when the penryns drop on the 12th. I have 2x1GB Ballistics Tracer 8500 (and will be upgrading with either 2x1gb or 2x2gb later). Also inside is 2 SATA 7,200 RPM drives.

For the case, I've decided on the Thermaltake soprano DX. Best combination of aesthetics and function I can find (I have a GF who has to approve of this thing sitting in the living room, after all). The newegg reviews have some negative things to say about the air flow of the stock fans, so I'm replacing those. I'll be using the ultra 120 on my processor, but i'm not sure how many CFM I should get on the heatsink. I'd like to keep my rig cool, especially since I'm bound to get nervous performing my first OC, but i don't want it to be too loud.

So... trying to get every drop out of this processor, what CFM for the heatsink fan? My case fans are 89.39 out and 54.7 in (hard to find more on a 140mm fan).

Should I get anything else? PCI slot coolers, 5.25" bay coolers? Anything at all.

Oh... if possible, my girlfriend wants a green LED fan for the processor, I told her we'd see.:D

Last edited:
Back