• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling northbridge on ds3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pomegranate said:
The crappy NB cooler is one of the things that turned me away from the DS3. I read way too many posts about scorching hot NB temps. If Gigabyte doesn't want to use a heatpipe on the DS3 then they ought to use a cooler with a medium-speed 50mm fan. It would only add about $5 to the cost of the board and I'm sure customers would be happy to pay the price. This is an enthusiast's motherboard and it needs an appropriate NB cooler for its customer base.

I totally agree.I shouldn't have to risk killing the board and making it un RMAable because they used a northbridge h/s that s not up to the job..I cant believe how hot that piece of aluminum gets

Mine gets hot.

I guess that means when I swapped out the stock tim for as5 I must have done a decent job.

I'd be worried if it didn't get hot.

The ones on my Asus boards get hot too. and I've got them undervolted

Stock tim and as5 was pretty much the same. My fingers aren't temp sensors, but seems like it was around the same scorching hot temperature.

Anyways, I took out the 80mm fan and replaced it with this nb heatsink/fan(below). Works great I don't know if there was any decrease in temps with stock nb hs and my fan blowing on it, but it looks a lot nicer than a fan hanging from my cpu cooler!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103015

Last edited:
figured i will give the evercool a shot

img1585mh0.jpg

looks like he did, I run a swiftech 159 copper cooler on all my boards I clock with, definatly lowers temps very good

redrumy3 said:
ManChild said:
yea , the paste was so dried up good thing i took it off. evercool is much better now :)

I hope it wasnt hard to take off I dont want to break anything I have been puttiing this rig togather for 4 months and the last thing i have to get is the video card looking at the 8800 gts evga 320 oc.:confused:

came right off actually just have to take out motherboard turn it around and pop push pins out.

8800gts 320 is nice but not if u like high res and AA/AF get the 640 plus 640 is better for future games etc

redrumy3 said:
came right off actually just have to take out motherboard turn it around and pop push pins out.

8800gts 320 is nice but not if u like high res and AA/AF get the 640 plus 640 is better for future games etc

I only have a 22 inch monitor 1680x1050 max But I like the eyecandy as well

ManChild said:
I only have a 22 inch monitor 1680x1050 max But I like the eyecandy as well

then u should deff get the 640mb version , someone had a site that the 640 creamed the 320 in higher resoultion and AA/AF so 1600 res should get 640mb

Yeah then you should get the 640mnb version.But every review i read said that 320mb version hangs with or beats( 320mb OC card vs Standard clock 640mb) the 640version til you get up in the 1920X

Edit: Got the evercool in and yes i can touch the heatsink without getting burn.Also cleaned up the wires alittle.Now i have to put the fan back in.But i cant decide which one grean Led 120x25 or Black Tri Blade Delta 120x38

Attachments

• fff.BMP.jpg
    fff.BMP.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 697
Last edited:
mobitsfa said:
Here is the coolermaster N/B heatsink and fan. Taken with camera phone.

attachment-1.jpg

o nice i was going to buy that, wasnt sure if it was going to fit on my board with ultra-120 on it hmmm maybe ill buy it later on

Hello to tese forums at first!
I cool my NB with a 40mm silent fan also (simply screwed it on) but sometimes my drives aren´t recognized on boot.
Is it the SB getting to hot under my 8800GTS?
Attached to ICH i have these problems the Jm Controller doesn´t.
Cheers!

Edit: i lurked in here since the days i was starting to use a "XP-M" days ago. So lets try to get something out of it. Thanks in advance!!

redrumy3 said:
then u should deff get the 640mb version , someone had a site that the 640 creamed the 320 in higher resoultion and AA/AF so 1600 res should get 640mb

OK I just pulled the handle on the 640 version :clap: I am going to need you guys to help me overclock my system once i get it togather. nice job gigabit on the install. the rest of you guys are looking good also. I cant wait until new egg deliver. look like I will be up friday nite :) hoping I can get at least 400 fsb.This is much better forum than the other one i use to visit .Thanks guys for the info.I got the evga version

pokuly said:
It isn´t that hard. Just get a DS3, a 6400 and good RAM. The fine tunings will evolve afterwards ;)

Thanks I got a e6400 ,ds3 ver 3.3 patriot 667 ram 2 gigs 8800gts

redrumy3 said:
o nice i was going to buy that, wasnt sure if it was going to fit on my board with ultra-120 on it hmmm maybe ill buy it later on

I measured before I bought it. It's pretty much the same height as the stock heatsink.

ManChild said:
OK I just pulled the handle on the 640 version :clap: I am going to need you guys to help me overclock my system once i get it togather. nice job gigabit on the install. the rest of you guys are looking good also. I cant wait until new egg deliver. look like I will be up friday nite :) hoping I can get at least 400 fsb.This is much better forum than the other one i use to visit .Thanks guys for the info.I got the evga version

Friday? I thought newegg delivers in 3 days or less? I live in Missin Viejo, Ca, so it's next day delivery from newegg, zipzoomfly, xpc gear, sharka, etc.. but it sucks because I have to pay TAX!! Oh well, it's pretty much like i'm paying for next day delivery.

Back