• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling the GF2 MX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There is really no reason to go overboard with a GF2 MX. All I did to mine was add a 486 fan to the stock sink. With this setup I run the core and memory at 220. I have had the core up to 240 but there were artifacts so I backed it down.

Amen Ken. I've had my MX for a year now and believe me, I've tweaked and modded the guano out of it. That was the first thing I did was to put a recycled 486 CPU fan onto my MX too. It helped a little. Then I took the heatsink off, cleaned the gunk off and used Arctic Silver thermal paste. That helped too. Then I tried a 40mm X 20mm high output Sunon fan. That helped a bit more too. The sinks on the vid RAM only was good for 1-2 MHz. But, installing a lapped Blue Orb on my MX card helped the most of all my mods. I use a slot fan next to my vid card too. They don't flow but a fraction of what they claim, but those slot fans do help move heat away from the vid card.

Last edited:
Sohryu Asuka Langley said:
I think my heatsink beats the alpha...well it should... ive lapped and mouted mine on like a mutha f***** if i try to move it i hear a grinding noise :) and teh fan is 27crm :)
Sounds like the fan blades are out of balance. Might want to check and see if you can send it back, and get a replacement. If it's out of warranty, DON'T MOVE IT!!!
:D

This is gettin kinda OT, but the OC's everyone is posting seems really low compared to what NVMax is telling me I did to my card. It's telling me my card is at 255 core / 365 mem. Does that seem high? Coz it's gonna go higher as soon as I get my blorb!

Back