• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ankhan

Registered
I am thinking of buying a computer I have a 1100 dollar budget I plan to overclock it but I need to know about cooling. I need advice. well here’s the idea I had. I was thinking of using my window mounted a/c with a dryer vent hose on the intake forcing a/c air through my pc but I am worried about condensation. do I need to set up my pc for subzero?

Last edited:
Welcome!

Cooling with your AC and a duct isnt a 24/7 solution. At times, you will have condensation issues. Im quite certain that the overclocks you want to achieve 24/7 do not require anything but air cooling.

That said, what system are you going to buy with that budget?

I was thinking of getting a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-431f I want to start off with a system that’s not all that complicated before I try to build one. I don’t have that much experience with computers and I have never owned one. I really would like to just build one but I don’t know much yet. I plan to use this computer to learn on before I try some thing. just learning and cant afford to make any mistakes.

Its not difficult at all. There is a how to guide here at this site that even shows you how (look in general section in the sticky's)! that said, if you cant afford to make mistakes, dont get some factory built POS you likely cant overclcok in the first place is my best advice.

Again, if you cant afford to bork your PC, ghetto ducting AC to your PC isnt a good idea.

Have fun with Linux... there is a section here for that too with some very knowledgeable people (not me!).

No clue. How many games do you have? What size are they? How many applications do you have? How much data do you have?

I think only the WINE distro plays games and not all of them either... If you are gaming, Linux wouldnt be the direction I would go.

That said, Im sure a 1TB drive will be PLENTY.

thank you. I dont know anything about the Operating systems. I dont have any games yet and the ones I'll get are not that big. I was thinking elder skrolls starcraft II stuff like that. no real data just a few work doc's.

for gaming and OC'in purpose...
windows XP ftw....

I have a 500gigs of hdd for around 6 months,
yet it's still half full ;)

for gaming and OC'in purpose...
windows XP ftw....

I have a 500gigs of hdd for around 6 months,
yet it's still half full ;)
I would never tell anyone to get XP now..And its not any better at games than W7. :facepalm:

W7 or Linux distro's or go home. :p

EDIT: Added smiley.. not meant quite as typed.

Last edited:
If you want to make a gaming machine I'd really suggest dual booting windows 7 and some version of linux. Gaming on linux isn't terrible by any means but in my experience you have to fight with just about every game at least a little bit to get it running properly using wine. Nothing against linux but I just think you may want to consider why you're installing it. If it's for programming for classes, I'd suggest installing it in a virtual machine within windows. And if it's only for the "I run linux" thing, well I did that for a while and it wasn't worth the effort :p. Anyway that's your call, just somethin to think about.

no I don't want Linux. I just want to know how to use it. My cousin talks about it all the time and swears its great but he hasn't programed anything for like 10 years and never plays video games he says its for stupid people and I just ignore him. I don't want it on this PC.

I would like a Clock Speed around 3.8 GHz, 8 MB of Cache, 8 MB of direct memory, Power supply of about 650v, I would like a Hard drive with about 500 GB, before I overclock it it all, not sure about what RAM, Media card reader, DVD burner, Video card, Motherboard, Sound card, Case, or Operating system.

I don't have anything right now. so yes monitor, Keyboard, mouse, and OS, but I don't need anything special used will work fine. its the PC that needs to have most of the money.

budget is $2000.00 MAX per semester. thank you all so much.

Last edited:
ok so here is what I want to build.

Case Price: $40
RAIDMAX AURA ATX-927WB
Power supply Price: $100
CORSAIR Model GS600
CPU Price. $190
AMD Phenom II X6
RAM price: $22.99X 4 = $92.00
Corsair XMS3 4GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM
Motherboard Price: $208
990FXA-GD80
Hard drive Price: $61
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS
DVD burner Price: $20
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM
Video card (optional) Price: $173
GIGABYTE Series Ultra Durable VGA Series Model GV-N460OC2-1GI
Operating system Price: $184.99 Total: $1117.00
Windows 7 Ultimate

I still need some one to look at these parts and tell me if they are all compatible also need to know what settings you think I may need to change to make it all work.
I also want to do water cooling on it in the future. mostly because it looks so so cool!
Is there a post on altering a case for water cooling? I have an idea on how I'm going to do it but I want some good advice before I start drilling holes and cutting plexiglass. I'm thinking of mounting the pump and radiator externally on the rear or inside on the wall, I really wont know how tell I see how it all fits inside.
I cant find waterblocks for the memory I picked, can some one help?

Last edited:
Why are you liquid cooling? You don't need it. The level of OC that 'requires' liquid is above and beyond the scope of what a novice should expect to be able to achieve.

Here's a decent $900 build (+100 for Win 7, +tax = your budget)

Intel 2500K CPU
Gigabyte P67AUD3P or Z68AUD3P or Z68AUD3H
8GB Corsair XMS3 cas 9
Corsair CX600 power supply
Antec 300 Illusion case
WD Caviar black 1TB hard drive
(your choice of optical drive for about $30)
Nvidia GTX560Ti graphics card
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ CPU cooler

If you want AMD switch the first 2 to

Phenom II 1095T CPU
ASUS Crosshair V formula motherboard

Overall cost will be similar.

edit: Just noticed you need a monitor..
That's going to kind of ding your budget.. Can you add $200 possibly?

Last edited:
because its fun. why do anything? I am just planing the water cooling for future upgrades. its really rather fun and I am an automotive student so I know how this works. its just like building a car. you need to match the spec's. every detail matters.

Last edited:
You can't cheap much on the watercooling. Build a nice air system and add water later.

Your WC list is full of bad mis-informed wrong stuff. You list a pump for $39. Don't think so.
You have listed the expensive not needed liquid to cool.
Wayy outdated CPU block.
You list a TT cooler for the GPU.
"Friends don't let friends buy Thermaltake." Watercooling for a GPU is always close to $100, and up. You need to cool the VRAM AND THE VREAGS if using a GPU only block. A accepted GPU only block is $60 or so.
The rad you list is VERY old, need high FPI fans, inefficient and rarely bought by a knowedgeble waterooler. Not a pro, a normal new guy.

Your about 3 weeks short in the research department to order ANY watercooling parts. More or less.

EDIT: I looked up your internet click n buy on the GPU block. I need to say, if you picked that block for GPU cooling you are not ready, 100% to even order ONE single WC part. OMG. That is from 2005 or before, the top is cheap plastic, the fittings suck, and probably steel, not coated brass, not barely able to even cool a modern GPU. You can point and click all you want, but untill you spend a week++ in our stickies and readin many posts, your not ready. I never pull punches here, I tell you how it is. You do what you want. Peeps we help here build geat hassle free WC rigs usually. So I'm saying what you must hear, not what you want to hear.

Your looking at $400-$600 for a quality WC loop, one that will last forever for your CPU and GPU.
Our stickies and this link here will get you started.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

An auto is NOT a watercooled PC, believe me. It's similar, but wayy different.

Last edited:
Back