• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper based CPU block with stainless steel pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alcsi69

Hey guys!

I'm planning my custom loop, and I'm a littlebit confused now. So my CPU block will be an XP3 Light and I found the EK-DDC 3.2 PWM + res combo which would be pretty good, but the pump is stainless steel. I read in the beginner's guide, that it's not good to mix materials. Does this applies to the pump as well, or it will not cause any harm at all?

It applies to every component in the loop that has direct water contact. With that being said copper and stainless tend to play well together so you should be fine. Typical metals found in a loop that play well together are copper, brass, and stainless steel. Chrome would normally be ok as well but there has been some intermittent weird issues with it so you may see it get bad press. The main metal you want to avoid mixing is aluminum as this will cause havoc in a mixed metal system.

It applies to every component in the loop that has direct water contact. With that being said copper and stainless tend to play well together so you should be fine. Typical metals found in a loop that play well together are copper, brass, and stainless steel. Chrome would normally be ok as well but there has been some intermittent weird issues with it so you may see it get bad press. The main metal you want to avoid mixing is aluminum as this will cause havoc in a mixed metal system.

+1

What Lochekey said and make sure you get the proper fluids that has biocide and corrosive inhibitor in them. I use Aquacomputer's DP Ultra premixed clear fluid (No colors) that has the perfect balance and all I ever do is a annual drain and refill with a new batch.

Allright, thanks for you answers.
Another question, because it's also not clear: So everything that I'll use, uses G 1/4 thingies. So that means I have to use G 1/4 fittings right? Does the tubing size matter? So can I use a 16/10mm or a 19/13mm as well? :screwy:

G 1/4 is the standard threads used for liquid cooling. Just make you check the specs on the gear before purchasing.

As for tubing, you usually match the tubing and fittings but for some smaller fittings, you might be able to mix and match. I use the biggest size ( 1/2 x 3/4 ) for both tubing and fittings as I'm not too familiar with the smaller kind. Dependent on the case, I would look around with said case and see what most ended up choosing that looks to fit well.

Check this video out as it could answer lots of questions you may have that were missed from the guides.

G 1/4 is the standard threads used for liquid cooling. Just make you check the specs on the gear before purchasing.

As for tubing, you usually match the tubing and fittings but for some smaller fittings, you might be able to mix and match. I use the biggest size ( 1/2 x 3/4 ) for both tubing and fittings as I'm not too familiar with the smaller kind. Dependent on the case, I would look around with said case and see what most ended up choosing that looks to fit well.

Check this video out as it could answer lots of questions you may have that were missed from the guides.

Well, I don't have a case for this rig, because it's an OC rig -> I swap parts a lot. :D

Back