• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper Cap Water Block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Moto7451 said:
He said it smoked out some pins so it was probably something unrelated to the block itself. What I have no clue since I've never heard of pins frying.

Exactly, nothing to do with the coppercap block, the green board and pins were burnt, no where near the core, not a big deal for me, the cpu was free at the time.
BTW the motherboard is just fine, go figure... :thup:

Jtanczos said:
I doubt that it was the WB itself. If the bottom of it was flat then it would be like any other HSF/water block. 3 reasons I can think of might be: Faulty cpu, block was crooked, or something about the backplate/nuts shorting something. Did you use a spacer?

VERY cool idea tho. Set up a cheap watercooling for a 500mhz overclock K6-3 :D

JT

Faulty CPU, I am sure of it. As soon as i find it I will scan and post pics. really interesting seeing A CPU fry like this.
The new CPU is in the same mobo and is running great! and temps are somewhat lower.

The Backplate and all mounting hardware are plastic so there was no shorting.
it was just a quick and dirty but looked great when I used it, so it stays.

Last edited:
now i have no care for how many holes i drill in my case... instead of a backplate, couldnt i just put bolts thru the mobo tray which come through the mounting holes? then somehow use a combo of bolts and springs to keep it on ?

Yes, but that is not recomended. It would put unnessacary stress on your motherboard. It could also snap your motherboard or atleast pop some components off the surface, in the end. Is it worth the risk? All a backplate is is a sheet of metal with some rubber on it to prevent shorts.

how would that put stress on the mobo? im talking about anchoring it to the tray the mobo rests on, which id space it with nuts...keep in mind i gotta put 2 of these on, plus the chipset one.

u guys know this stuff not me im jsut asking. my tray is steel (old *** case)...can i see some pics illustrating the backplate and all?

also, are there other brass door fittings for smaller WBs? or am i just gonna hafta mke 3? and how did u seal it? im not expereinced with the pipe soldering and such, i didnt think that thing brass can take it.

Nvidia Vanta PCI video card(I have the funding! But, waiting till mid Feb. to see if

sunrunner20 said:
What brand/grade silver solder was it, and how much does it cost?

Nvidia Vanta PCI video card(I have the funding! But, waiting till mid Feb. to see if the price goes down to the sub $500 range.)

Me too. They will develop far more GPU bandwidth now that things are moving to the big PCIe, Now, at this time, they say that AGPx8 can handle any GPU bandwidth out there in the top graphics cards..

MadSkillzMan said:
also, are there other brass door fittings for smaller WBs? or am i just gonna hafta mke 3? and how did u seal it? im not expereinced with the pipe soldering and such, i didnt think that thing brass can take it.

I just used the marine grade JB Weld. to seal the Brass Pull to the CopperCap.
Of course after making sure all parts would fit inside.

the JB weld wasn't in a spot that it would affect heat transfer was it? You just had it around the sides of the brass piece?

good job
thinkin out loud here if u opened up that maze and put another out on the other side of there wouldn't that be better for pressure drop wise

Back