• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper Cap Water Block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yea thats notta bad idea...oh well ive made a multitude of spud cannons and air chambers to power them...hows this different? except its much smaller and the fate of my computer lies within it lol

alright ghettocomp, were about to get blasted with a snow storm on wed, and my gf needs parts for her fishtank..soo guess what? i guess im going tommorrw to get the parts for this project. im only interested right now in cooling the 2 CPU's

now you used copper tubing as barbs? any final notes on what to do/get before i attempt this? its gonna be a few days b4 i weld it. first i gotta hollow out an old AT case, cut a hole for the rad, cut up the caps etc...

well i did a run around today guys..no one here carries 2" copper caps. biggest home depot has is 1.5". I did however get female barbs for my rad...they fit it nicely just hafta solder...i got 4 1/2" connectors, tubbing, and the door pulls...i found a 2" alluminum fence pole cap, and it looks way too large ...2" for the cpu cap seems a bit off are you sure you didnt get a 1.5" cap? the morons at lowes didnt have any and took 20mins to checkout 3 people so when i went to go back to home depot they were closed...so...wer about to get blasted with snow, so i guess once the storm clears ill go out and get em...i think the 1.5" caps will work...they guys at both stores told me 1.5" was as big as they go..so..i guess ill just take the brass fitting with me next time and see if it fits before i buy it

Sorry it took a while to get back to this thread, Been at home sick the last couple of days. So a couple of answers:

MadSkillzMan said:
...now you used copper tubing as barbs? any final notes on what to do/get before i attempt this? its gonna be a few days b4 i weld it. first i gotta hollow out an old AT case, cut a hole for the rad, cut up the caps etc...

Just 3/8 od copper tubing, Make the barbs a little longer than you think you will need. Then If you have a dremel, It can be sized better after making the mounting plates so you can see just where it all fits. 3/8"ID tubing fits snug but can get loose, so I used clamps as well.

ghettoBarbs! :attn:

MadSkillzMan said:
well i did a run around today guys..no one here carries 2" copper caps. biggest home depot has is 1.5". I did however get female barbs for my rad...they fit it nicely just hafta solder...i got 4 1/2" connectors, tubbing, and the door pulls...i found a 2" alluminum fence pole cap, and it looks way too large ...2" for the cpu cap seems a bit off are you sure you didnt get a 1.5" cap? the morons at lowes didnt have any and took 20mins to checkout 3 people so when i went to go back to home depot they were closed...so...wer about to get blasted with snow, so i guess once the storm clears ill go out and get em...i think the 1.5" caps will work...they guys at both stores told me 1.5" was as big as they go..so..i guess ill just take the brass fitting with me next time and see if it fits before i buy it

They must be moes (morons) My experience has been that if they dont see it on their shelves it is not made... :p

I have made them from 1.5" and 1.25", but it is a LOT of extra work, (and involved cutting up the 2" coppercap anyway!) BTW, Lowes and HD just increased the price--> $2.95+! :mad:

alum fence post caps are no good, :bang head I tried...

sunrunner20 said:
If I knew what socket he had it on in the image, I could figure it out from mechanical drawings.

Socket A, Athlon XP. Somewhere in this forum someone had posted some very excellent mechanical drawings of 4 hole mountings for waterblocks and/or waterblock designs, to scale! but at this moment I cant remember who did it (I am at work, with liimited time, [stealthing my way through the forums so I look busy :D lol :cool: ])
I have them at Home and if need be I will scan and post,

I have proof that 2" Copper Caps are made. this is an old one that I had cut up to make a top for a much smaller water block of the same basic design (1.25")

copper1.jpg

Well, sort of.. if you can read the ruler.

The 2" Brass door pulls should be of this brand or solid brass

brass1.jpg

some other brands are only brass plate :( and would corrode once the brass plate has been nicked or scratched too much.

There are 3 points on the inside edge that should be flattened in and soldered shut before assembling the whole thing:

brass2.jpg

Scans of the mounting plates (top and back) as links, (too big, unless everyone is high speed!)

Top & Back

all the measurements are in Cm.
The scans could be better but no complaints from me.
It was a free scanner that I got from dumpinggoods.com A thread started by SSS a while back, I just paid shipping. :attn:

Last edited:
Yea, at lowes/HD they are dumb. no one has em. I got some barbs for my rad..checkout my work here : http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=328676

i looked on their site..they dont have it....but ACE hardware has em, theyre friggen 4$ apeice..and i might have to have it shipped to the store which is more annoying. The fence posts they had, were OBVIOUSLY way larger than 2", they must have marked it wrong or something. so hopefully next weekend i can get out there to find em. HD/Lowes here doesnt even have the copper stock! i was gona just resort to the beehive one, but they dont even have the thick stock. i checked in their metal working sections and asked the people there. morons.

i ran into the problem of them not having the thick stock and i decided to use two caps instead of one, it worked out nicely... If you'd like to take a look, the thread link is in my sig... man i feel weird, all you guys test your stuff for so long... i have no patience and slapped mine on after about 30 minutes of leak testing... no leaks and i've had' er running 24/7 since i built it. good luck on your endevours

how did you do that garymator? just 2 same size caps? also, what size?

ghettocomp, cutting your caps down, whatexactly does that serve other than lower profile? i mean what if we just put copper pins in and have it the original size?

MadSkillzMan said:
how did you do that garymator? just 2 same size caps? also, what size?

ghettocomp, cutting your caps down, whatexactly does that serve other than lower profile? i mean what if we just put copper pins in and have it the original size?

I prefer the lower profile, didn't want a huge chunk of copper and water hanging off the motherboard, seems that would be kinda heavy.

the garynator said:
i ran into the problem of them not having the thick stock and i decided to use two caps instead of one, it worked out nicely... If you'd like to take a look, the thread link is in my sig... man i feel weird, all you guys test your stuff for so long... i have no patience and slapped mine on after about 30 minutes of leak testing... no leaks and i've had' er running 24/7 since i built it. good luck on your endevours

there is a place called onlinemetals.com that hass copper stock in a lot of different shapes. They even have "sample packs" of 4" square copper that would seem to be the right size to start something with. not sure of the thickness of the copper though.

Back