• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

core 2 duo which heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
THERMALRIGHT ULTRA 120 the cheapest price I found was $41.88+ tax and its OOS in alot of stores, anyone got a better price (and in stock)?

i686 said:
hi'
I recently changed the original fan for the big typhoon for another thermaltake ifan with led, 62cfm for a low16db, GREAT :)

beside, I made another OC going ok and thinking that a core2duo won't be far ...
do you think I could keep this big typhoon for a core2duo E6400, planned to OC to 3ghz?
coz, even with a prescott it's cool, running for now an hour or so, and still 36°c ...

any opinion?

thanks

i686
I got to play with a friend's core 2 duo system tonight... my god, it was amazing... I convinced him to buy a big typhoon with a 38mm-thick delta tri-blade fan. We bumped the 6400 up to 3.2 without issues (1.39V), and we're going to try to get it higher tomorrow. Didn't really have much time to test temps (aka he kept stopping me to play CSS), but things stayed relatively cool even during a dual-prime95/superpi suicide test.

So yeah, you should be fine sticking with a big typhoon for a 6400. Might want to exchange the stock fan though.

Does the Thermalright Ultra-120 have trouble fitting in some mid tower cases? I'm debating seriously building a whole new C2D setup, and it would go in a SLK3000B (I think) case I have. I just wanted to see if this cooler should fit fine w/o issues?

Also, is it necessary to have any kind of cooling for the north/southbridge or any of the capacitors? This cooler is gigantic from the pics, and I'm concerned that things might get too hot when O/C? I'm shooting for a decent O/C, ~3ghz w/ a e6400. Thanks. Any info is appreciated.

well its sorrta easy to tell take some measurements then match it the specs of the ultra 120. i have mid size tower and i think this would be able to fit a ninja lol.

Well i was really scared when i touched the capacitor right next to my south bridge heat sink. apparently the south bridge was heating it up. i am going to get a north bridge cooler and maybe just add a fan to the south bridge. because its hard to find a heatsink that would fit in such a tight location. As for you which motherboard do you have? if you dont have those heat pipe things it might be a good idea to get some NB SB coolers.
greenmaji said:
The best price is a pre-order situation, and it looks like you found it.
http://www.case-mod.com/store/therm...0-socket-lga775-939-am2-pre-order-p-2031.html

This product will be in stock on Tuesday 31 October, 2006.

No, I can't find it for less, and if its in stock its going to be more $$$

how reliable is this site? sorta want the u120, but i might go to the ninja just cuz svc is selling it and i know them more.

Well I couldn't wait for the Tuniq tower to come back into stock (and I actually have a sunbeam case) so I ordered the Scythe Ninja Plus rev.B for $46cdn w/fan. I barely managed to fit it in my case and even had to relocate my 80mm to the outside of the plexyglass but somehow despite being sandwitched between my 120mm AC case fan and my 120mm power supply fan, this thing works amazing!!! Running my e6400 at 3ghz, idles at 26C and I can't get it to go over 47-50 using ITAT with 100% workload on both cores and ATItool running with the spinning cube to heat up the videocard as well (basically trying to create a worst case scenario for the my tower).

Here's a couple of pics of the tight squeeze:
100_2656.jpg
100_2652.jpg

All my fans are adjustable (except for the PSU 120mm) and I run them in a pretty quiet state to get the temps I mentioned. I have a silverstone 120mm behind the HD's that I can set to something like 4000rpm... I've never actually verified the speed but its by far the fastest 120mm I've even seen, yet I run it at nearly the minimum speed.

Last edited:
Back