• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i5 2500K Sapphire 7870 Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

felixthemaster

Here are the specs:
Corsair Vengence Low Profile 8GB
MSI Z77A-GD55
Zalman Z11 Plus (taking out of the slot covers were a female dog!)
Intel core i5 2500K (stock fan)
Sapphire HD 7870 (Doesn't say OC version)
Corsair HX650w Modular
WD scorpian blue (Laptop hard drive)
WD Caviar Black (Boot drive)
Random Optical drive

i5PEv.jpg
Gotta start :S

jOHJc.jpg
WOOT! Tons of problems with the case but I Finally finished it! My cable management is just a bundle of cables at the bottom where I can install a fan :D

nSup5.jpg
Sorry for the low light

EyygY.jpg
USB 3 pass throughs make Johnny a saad boy

P6dSl.jpg
If only I could afford a game now xD

I Just wanted to start a new build thread as the others were questions :)

I'll post on this from now on

(no one was replying to "new intel build" thread)
IF you want to delete that then its fine! I dont need it anymore!

There are a few programs out there that will display CPU temp.

One thing to realize is that they're not all 100% accurate.

Actually, I downloaded msi after burner and just slid some of the sliders to the right a bit and made the fan run at 70%

in heaven benchmark, stock, i got this
stock slider position:
BGPhd.png
78 FPS avg

after moving the sliders a bit i got this:
iOVJd.png
87 FPS avg

about 10 frames more

LOL ont he stock cooler? Maybe, if i want to melt my case into a molten mess of lava..

I wont be overclcoking for two reasons: I need to save up AGAIn for a cpu cooler.. but the mounting seems too complicated for me. since there are so many different types of sockets..

and secondly, I dont need to. I mean.. I dont even know why I would overclock the gpu or the cpu.. all my games run fine.. If i DID overclock the gpu id get a few more fps and I dont think anything above 60 fps is that noticible anyway ... and why would a faster cpu be of any use?

(my mobo has the oc genie button so i could just press that and restart so i know the cpu OC will be easy)

Should I get a sound card? or are the onboard HD audio chips good enough?

(i dont listen to music or watch movies)

LOL ont he stock cooler? Maybe, if i want to melt my case into a molten mess of lava..

I wont be overclcoking for two reasons: I need to save up AGAIn for a cpu cooler.. but the mounting seems too complicated for me. since there are so many different types of sockets..

and secondly, I dont need to. I mean.. I dont even know why I would overclock the gpu or the cpu.. all my games run fine.. If i DID overclock the gpu id get a few more fps and I dont think anything above 60 fps is that noticible anyway ... and why would a faster cpu be of any use?

(my mobo has the oc genie button so i could just press that and restart so i know the cpu OC will be easy)

You could overclock a little like to 4.1GHz on a stock cooler with no vcore increase.

+1 Onboard sound is fine.

First problem: I can't rename a file on my WD caviar black? When i try to rename it the change doesnt take effect and it returns to its original name no matter what I type in. But I CAN rename files on my secondary harddrive (the one i salvaged from my laptop)

are there HDD options on permissions to rename files or something?)

nvm, I have restarted my comp and all the updates have finished.

So I decided to Overclock to the safe settings and It gave me 10 more FPS on heaven benchmark. I dont know why but I just went ahead and over did the sliders on catalyst control center a bit and it crahsed so i restarted the comp and now my gpu has OC damage :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

In bfbc2, it pulses a bit and on crysis, the rendering freezes if i move the mouse too fast..

DANG IT .. Can I claim waranty and get a new card? :(

As you can tell I am FREAKING OUT. I never wanted to OC.. but everyone pushed me to do it D:

1. You always OC in increments.
2. I don't think you can damage a chip just by OCing, you'd have to be overvolting.

I'd blame drivers before blaming OC damage...realize that it is EXTREMELY hard to damage by OCing unless you're doing something incredibly stupid (or benching).

well a trusted website said it is safe and tested at 1100 gpu clock which I did and te powercolour cards OC are stock 1100 so yes it worked

but then I moved the slider to 1200 because I didnt know how small an increment I was supposed to make. I thought 1200 isnt that far off.. I mean 100mhz.. thats child's play!??1!!?/1?SDg fhnpxd fg.;p@sd

:(

i can takea vid if that helps

Again, the most damage changing frequency can do is just crashing...it doesn't increase heatload that much. Overvolting is what increases heatload and can make things blow. AMD CCC doesn't have overvolting options.

You wanna do video cards in 10-15MHz increments, 100MHz increments is more CPU level.

Again, the glitches you're seeing are probably not hardware related. Try downloading the application profiles from AMD's website, as they have specific game fixes (and usually one of the fixes is for BF3 since AMD drivers and BF3 were having major issues with each other).

Back