• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 Longevity...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

I picked up a copy of Maximum PC and read an article that says Intel is developing thier next-gen 32nm CPU.

Does this mean the Core i7 is going out of business so soon? I mean it just came out :screwy:

no, intel is always working on the next step while one is just out, they dont make these things over night thas for sure!

umm intel is just shrinking the current i7 from 45nm to 32nm thats all.... i7 is going to be around for a while.... the only new cpu coming out from intel is i5 which is a mid-low end cpu market segment.

Well that's good to hear considering I just made the jump to a Core i7.

Just looking at the advancements in technology I guess I wouldn't be totally surprised if some new high-powered CPU came out in a couple months.

Yeah, i7 has at least two more years left in it as the top end CPU. It will probably be a year for the 32nm to fully come on line and then at least another year for its successor. The good news is the 32nm chips "should" be able to be used in current motherboards but we all remember how well that turned out with the switch to 45nm.

Some of the boards supported the newer 45nm with BIOS updates, while mainly the older ones couldn't. Being just one year old I think it should support the newer 32nm cpu's (hoping)

Some of the boards supported the newer 45nm with BIOS updates, while mainly the older ones couldn't. Being just one year old I think it should support the newer 32nm cpu's (hoping)

the more i read your post the more confused i get... i7 hasn't even been out a year....

I would not be surprised if X58 could work even with neha's successor with the IMC and QPI but with it being a bling platform they likely to get away better with milking the owners with new mobos than on the mainstream so couldn't rule out the need of new mobos. If they could ensure us about the longevity of the mobos I bet a lot more hesitant people would jump on the I7.

the more i read your post the more confused i get... i7 hasn't even been out a year....

By the time 32nm will be out then the 45nm i7's will have been out for 1-2 years, so I was just talking about how they will probably support the newer chips, maybe with a BIOS update.

I'm going to skip i7 entirely and just wait for the next generation.

My 9550 is fast enough for anything I throw at it, games are bottlenecked by GPUs, and I don't fold. Plus hardly anything actually takes advantage of the quad CPU.

Yeah, I know, a luddite for this place. Who knows maybe I'll break down sooner.

is it right that the i5 is going to be dual channel rather than triple channel on the memory?

By the time 32nm will be out then the 45nm i7's will have been out for 1-2 years, so I was just talking about how they will probably support the newer chips, maybe with a BIOS update.

I heard because of intels tick-tock, 32nm will be the tick at the end of this year and they are adding 2 more core to the i7's, which kinda ****ed me off when i bought my 920. But for the money you cant beat it, and i dont really see 6 cores as really being viable in a real world environment, maybe for benchmarks and video encoding, which i dont do.

I heard because of intels tick-tock, 32nm will be the tick at the end of this year and they are adding 2 more core to the i7's, which kinda ****ed me off when i bought my 920. But for the money you cant beat it, and i dont really see 6 cores as really being viable in a real world environment, maybe for benchmarks and video encoding, which i dont do.

As far as I know, the 32nm 6 core i7 will be for the Extreme Edition only. Could be wrong though...

Well to be honest, im still happy with my q6600 oc`ed and some snappy ddr2...

Just like Steve stated above, I will probably skip the i7's all together, and upgrade to its successor.

So really, I hope they don't last all THAT long... Cuz im sure in another year this q6600 is gonna start to feel old and pewpy or something :p

Back