• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 Longevity...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^^^^ yeah seriously I wanna know too :D

[threadjack] We are giving away an i7 system to one lucky new member or Xfolder that comes out of retirement.
[/threadjack]

I wanna know WTHNot

Expenses/heat of the setup? :p
The economy has gone for six, and certain places have high costs of living. How would you like your VAT to be 15%, AFTER a drop! The worse thing is that it will raise above the origional, to 20-25% after the recession!

The economy has gone for six, and certain places have high costs of living. How would you like your VAT to be 15%, AFTER a drop! The worse thing is that it will raise above the origional, to 20-25% after the recession!

See, that I can understand. Power costs have forced quite a few cutbacks..

carry on sir.. Though I expect to see your bright shiny face when things get a bit better in regards to power costs.. also during the winter.. at that point who cares about a bit of extra heat, eh?

I'm going to skip i7 entirely and just wait for the next generation.

My 9550 is fast enough for anything I throw at it, games are bottlenecked by GPUs, and I don't fold. Plus hardly anything actually takes advantage of the quad CPU.

Yeah, I know, a luddite for this place. Who knows maybe I'll break down sooner.

+1, My current rig price performance ratio is still killer....Its paid for, and a sub ten sec super pi performance, with zero bottlenecks, I am sure I can push any graphics card to its limits still with 4.5 ghz and these dominators...still 24/7 stable 1 year later with no voltage changes..

See, that I can understand. Power costs have forced quite a few cutbacks..

carry on sir.. Though I expect to see your bright shiny face when things get a bit better in regards to power costs.. also during the winter.. at that point who cares about a bit of extra heat, eh?

Don't worry, I plan to start folding when I get to uni. Electricity is a fixed rate, no matter how much I use there I believe so I might let my ps3 run for half the day, every day :p

Dual/quad/i7 cpu, no question

ps3 is capped at 900ppd..

faster than all of them is an Nvidia 8800 or better video card

a 8800 are you serious!! dang i can just imagine what kind of damage a more current set of cards can do then... like 4870's or gtx 280's

well i got my lil q6600 and one of my 4870's working as fast as they can to get us 3rd place back!

but i cant get my 2nd 4870 to fold :( take a look at my thread in the folding@home section for more info

all that info and we still cant find the cure for cancer DANG! lol ....

So once they find the cure for the cancer, you think they are going to offer it for free? After all we are the ones footing the energy bill and the machines cost about $30 a month to run 24/7:confused:

So once they find the cure for the cancer, you think they are going to offer it for free? After all we are the ones footing the energy bill and the machines cost about $30 a month to run 24/7:confused:

F@H won't find the cure, it's not about that, this is 'pure' research, working to understand HOW and WHY protiens misfold. Once we get that knowledge they've still got to develop applications for it.

F@H is like a follow=up to the Human Genome Project

The HGP developped the blueprints. F@H is akin to acquiring resources and financing for the building project

The treatments will be developped by private companies (most likely) who will have the financial resources to develop drug/genetic/targetted viral/nanotech treatments based on the studies being done today.

Well, we have 0% VAT in all of North America and 0% sales tax when you buy from an online retailer out of state, not to mention many places without sales tax like where I live. Loser.

J/K. None of that really matters though because we end up paying for it all anyway, whether through taxes or mountains of government debt.

Come on, it's not like F@H is some distributed artificial intelligence that is working on cures for different kinds of cancer.

Back