• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Core Temp" - CPU Temperature monitoring tool for the K8 series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Version 0.99.7.3 - 5th July, 2010

- New: "Start Core Temp with Windows" feature on Windows Vista and 7.

- Fix: Taking a screenshot would not capture the whole window in Vista/7 with aero mode.
- Fix: Windows 7 taskbar Cycle mode only shows up after the first interval has elapsed.
- Fix: Overheating protection UI bug.
- Fix: The Mini-mode menu was not checked when Mini-mode was activated.
- Fix: Corrected the placement and size of the load label on Phenom based processors.
- Fix: Order of appearance of the system tray icons in Windows 7.

- Update: The appropriate G15 menu is now checked depending on the status of the G15 plug-in.
- Update: Added support for 12 core processors to temperature offset adjustment window.

Version 0.99.7.7 - 31st July, 2010

- New: Core Temp FAQ is now available online, see About Core Temp dialog.
- New: System tray icons for CPU speed and CPU load - see System Tray setup under Options.
- New: Support for the latest mobile AMD processors.

- Fix: Multiple "Fail" messages when the computer exits sleep or plugged into/unplugged from power (laptops).
- Fix: Several mobile Intel processor recognition issues.
- Fix: When disabling Windows 7 Taskbar feature with Cycle mode, icons still continue to cycle.
- Fix: Windows 7 Taskbar settings UI bug.

- Update: "Start with Windows" function in Vista and 7 now works on a per-user basis.
- Update: Change the time and date layout of the log file name to YYYY-MM-DD HH-MM-SS.
- Update: All of the readings logged are now numeric only.
- Update: In single instance mode, the previous instance will be brought to the screen.

- Known issue: Core Temp may stop responding for a period of time or completely lockup on some systems when switching between power supplies (wall/battery) or exiting sleep/hibernation mode.

There is also a new version of the Core Temp sidebar gadget with many improvements and tweaks and a Media Center addon that I recommend you to check out here:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/addons.html

Version 0.99.7.10 - 1st September, 2010

- New: Enable overheat protection to execute a command every time an overheating occurs or just once.
- New: TjMax for AMD 10H and 11H family processors (K10/K10.5/Puma - older Turions)

- Fix: Several mobile Intel processor recognition issues.
- Fix: Mobile AMD processor recognition issues.
- Fix: Problem with Settings window throwing errors about Scheduled tasks if "Start with Windows" was not checked.
- Fix: Core Temp may crash on systems when switching between power supplies (wall/battery) or exiting sleep/hibernation mode.
- Fix: TCaseMax calculation for socket 939 AMD processors.

- Update: Shared memory applications and AMD Phenom derivatives will now show temperature for all of the cores.
- Update: Core Temp will remember proper screen position on multiple displays, when the 1st display is on the right.

dsda.jpg

I guess this program is not good for PhenomII cpus, since core temp is around 7c lower then cpu temp. Shows 36c core after 1hour priming, while cpu temp was actually 43c.

Version 0.99.7.10 - 1st September, 2010
Thanks for the update! :thup:

I guess this program is not good for PhenomII cpus, since core temp is around 7c lower then cpu temp. Shows 36c core after 1hour priming, while cpu temp was actually 43c.
Your "CPU" temp (and I assume you're talking about the motherboard's CPU socket sensor) is often different from the core temp. It would be very strange for the CPU die temp, as reported by internal AMD sensors (and what CoreTemp uses), to be exactly the same as the CPU socket temp, which is measured from a sensor located under the CPU socket. This is very obvious with some water cooled systems, especially those with poor to fair airflow around the CPU, but less obvious with air-cooled CPUs.

For AMD's most of us use the load core temp as a base for the processor temp, not the motherboard's CPU socket temp ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! :thup:

Your "CPU" temp (and I assume you're talking about the motherboard's CPU socket sensor) is often different from the core temp. It would be very strange for the CPU die temp, as reported by internal AMD sensors (and what CoreTemp uses), to be exactly the same as the CPU socket temp, which is measured from a sensor located under the CPU socket. This is very obvious with some water cooled systems, especially those with poor to fair airflow around the CPU, but less obvious with air-cooled CPUs.

For AMD's most of us use the load core temp as a base for the processor temp, not the motherboard's CPU socket temp ...

Well that 44c is CPU temperature from motherboard sensor and 36c was core temperature. How is it physically possible that outside cpu temp is higher then core temp inside at full load? So its most likely core temp false readings, since 44c sounds more accurate for 1.34v PhenomII at 22c ambient with aftermarket air cooling.

Last edited:
Is your CPU in open air? Do you have an extra fan blowing across the CPU area of the board or are you using a horizontal heatsink? If you answer 'no' to either of those questions then you can have heat build-up around the CPU socket, which is why the motherboard's CPU socket temp is unreliable and how the 'CPU' temp can read higher than the core temp.

My 940BE (3.52 GHz @ 1.36 vCore) is running a core temp of 43°C and CPU socket temp of 40°C in a 25°C room. My system is non-case (the board is open to the air on three sides), I'm using a TRUE with Panaflo medium, and I have an S-Flex pointed at the base of the TRUE to keep the MOSFETs. NB, and RAM cooled down. In other words there is no way I have any heat build-up at that CPU socket.

On the other hand I've got water-cooled rigs that show the core temp ~5°C cooler than the CPU socket because they are inside cases and have only the rear exhaust fan to cool off the CPU socket area with all the hardware around it. Like I said, the 'CPU' temp as reported by the motherboard CPU socket sensor is often NOT the same as the core temp - and for good reason ...

How is it physically possible that outside cpu temp is higher then core temp inside at full load?

Simple. The processor cores are closer to the source of heat extraction (the HSF) than the CPU socket of the motherboard. On top of that, the socket area temp is influenced by a lot of hot nearby components such as capacitors and mosfets which also heat up under load. There is also a heat conduction barrier in the seam between the base of the processor and the socket which can inhibit that heat from being transferred upwardly to the processor and removed by the HSF. The temp differences between the processor cores and the socket will also be influenced by air circulation (or lack of it) in the area around the socket which is influenced by style of HSF (top down or tower) and case air flow (fans, cable and wire arrangements). There is also the issue of calibration accuracy of the sensors themselves, apart from any issues with the monitoring software.

Last edited:
Then i guess my core temp really is 36c at full load (thumbs up for zalman). Most likely its northbridge and vrm mosfets make extra heat in socket area of mobo. Since those parts use cheap heatsinks or none at all(like on mosfets) on budget motherboards. Tower cpu cooler also blocks some of airflow.

sorry for offtop.

Most (but not all) of my builds show CPU temp higher than core temp, sometimes by as much as 10c or more. I'm very skeptical of the accuracy of motherboard temp sensors.

Most (but not all) of my builds show CPU temp higher than core temp, sometimes by as much as 10c or more. I'm very skeptical of the accuracy of motherboard temp sensors.

Very true. They sit in an area with no airflow, and often times aren't actively cooled at all. They simply rely on the movement of energy (heat) from high to low. :shrug: Core temps all the way. In the case of unlocked chips, set the same speeds with the normal amount of cores and then use some guestimation to find what you think is a safe spot.

Version 0.99.8.0 - 3rd October, 2010

- New: Completely new settings dialog, much clearer and easier to use.
- New: Added Hibernation to Overheat protection options.

- Fix: Mobile Intel Core2 Quad processor recognition issues.
- Fix: Pentium Dual-Core E6000 series model detection was incorrect.

- Update: TjMax adjusted to 100c (Intel's specs) for 400 and 500 series Atom processors.

If you want to publish another article Arthur, summarizing the latest updates since your last article, we'd welcome it. Your articles get a lot of attention, and send a decent amount of traffic to your homepage from the stats I've seen.

Hey guys...
I know it took forever, but Core Temp version 1.0 (RC1) is here at last!
There were many delays due to life, college projects and other things that just got in the way.
I hope that the improvements and enhancements which v1.0 brings will make up for it.
So without further ado here is the change log for the new version.

Version 1.0 RC1 - 18th August, 2011

*** Core Temp Monitor is now available, an Android app to monitor your machines from anywhere in the world!
More information is available here

- New: Multilingual interface. Core Temp now natively supports adding non-English languages.
- New: Plugin system - 3rd party developers can now create plugins and extensions for Core Temp, both native code and .Net is supported, please see this for more information.
- New: Intel Sandy Bridge and AMD Fusion (Brazos, Llano) support.
- New: Max TDP detection on supporting processors.
- New: Power consumption on Intel's Nehalem and newer processors.
- New: Added support for VIA processors. (C3 - detection only, Temperature by Acpi Thermalzones)
- New: Added support for Intel Pentium and AMD K5 and newer processors. (detection only, Temperature by Acpi Thermalzones)

- Fix: All of the user reported bugs and many more unreported problems.

- Update: Optimized the startup code, Core Temp should now launch 2 to 4 times faster.
- Update: Optimized many other aspects of the code, Core Temp should now consume much less CPU time than before.
- Update: Restored support for older OS: Windows XP is now fully supported, Windows 2000 requires security updates KB935839, KB835732 and GDI+. In some cases hotfix KB816542 may be needed as well.

Back