• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core Temp Too High?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krabby

I'm currently running my computer under Prime95...been about two hours. It's an i7-2700k, OCed at 4.6 ghz. My core temperatures have been max 66, 71, 72, 67 thus far under full load. I doubt anything too much higher will happen in 10 hours. What is everyone's thoughts?

Temps are safe.
Is it an auto OC or a manual one?
If auto, chances are high that the vCore is too high for this frequency.

What is your cooler?

Manual. Vcore readings at 1.272 or so. I'm only using a Cooler Master Hyper 212+, but great case ventilation.

1.272v is very nice for that clock speed. You could probably push it to 5GHz quite easily with a more capable cooler. :)

Haha, yeah I was very pleased to see I could get the system (at least thus far) stable at around there. I just purchased all the stuff on this build, so my wallet can't take another hit for a couple of months. However, once I recover, I'll be looking into a better cooler to see what this baby can do.

You could add a fan to the cooler (assuming you have only one) in a push/pull configuration with a very little bucks and shave some more degrees.

So a slight update for those interested. Prime95 failed at that voltage level at around 7 hours. So, upped the vcore and reading at about 1.28. Prime95 stable at 10 hours, so all good. Reset my unit with MX-2, and added another fan. So, with a vcore increase, current temp at full load is around 65. *thumbs up*

Back