• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Core temps for fx 8320 too low?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AnubisOne

I am getting strangely low core temps on my fx 8320. Just installed a couple of days ago. I am getting idle core temps of around 17C (63F). Ambient temperature in the room is around 72-73 degrees F. This has to be wrong right? I could just be wrong, but I'd like to know if my core temps are correct. Anyone else with an 8320 run into a problem with core temp readings?

What are your load temps? Sometimes the thermisters on the fx chips are not very accurate under 40c.

You can add a couple few degrees for margin of error. If that's stock or a mild OC, the temps look spot on.

The temp sensor in your CPU is not properly calibrated for idle temp. AMD just worried about the load temp load temp when they did their calibrations to be accurate.

+1 guys, at idle they all show low.
if you will watch the temps fall when ending prime 95 they nosedive and that shows that the temps are calculated.

That is true caddi, the temps fall like a lead balloon after prime 95. I'm just glad that the load temps are right, that's mostly what I am worried about. Everything is stock right now, planning on a mild OC to start, then going to try and push it as far as I can safely.

I have experienced this as well, and agree that the temps below 40, (or for me seem inaccurate, no matter what I use to monitor them, however I am guessing as long as it shows a temp rise and more importantly decline then your really looking for a range. and there are several threads that have what the range of rise and fall should be and I have found this to be pretty accurate.

It seems most programs only show the core temperature for the AMD FX CPUs. The core temp shown is probably about 10C-12C lower than the actual CPU temperature.

To get a better view of the actual CPU temperatures for my AMD FX-8350 I use Angus Monitor. It shows both the CPU core temperature and the CPU socket temperatures. It also allows you to graph both of them so you can compare them with respect to load and time. For example, right now Angus Monitor shows:

CPU Temp.
Core 1-8: 17.5 C
CPU Socket: 29.2 C

from my understanding there is a issue with the fx series idle temps that's in the chip, not any software that monitors it, so that's why I prefer to just follow a temp change no matter what it says for numbers I am looking at the overall increase from no load to 100% load.

I will have to give that a try. Where did you download Angus Monitor from? I have never heard of it and can not find it anywhere.

I will have to give that a try. Where did you download Angus Monitor from? I have never heard of it and can not find it anywhere.
Argus Monitor
http://www.argotronic.com/en/

It cost $20 but you can try it free for 30 days.
======================================
Since it is not always apparent whether a particular program is showing the "CPU Core" or "CPU Socket" temperature I compared several programs to find out. Here is what I have concluded:

These show CPU Core Temperature:
HWMonitor: AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature
Angus Monitor: Core 1-8
Core Temp: CPU Temp

These show CPU Socket Temperature
HWMonitor: TMPIN2
Angus Monitor: CPU Socket
EasyTune6: CPU

AMD temperature monitors are truly a PITA. Do you really expect me to believe that my CPU is running at 12.2C when my house is at 27.5C?

As for monitoring software don't rule out Open Hardware Monitor. I prefer it to HWMonitor.

Back