• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core Unlocker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sarge80

I have a bit of a question for everyone out there ....
I currently have a Asus M4A785-M motherboard that supports the "core unlocker" feature. I'm curious what results people have had with this kind of feature.

(If you wouldnt mind posting what your processor is and how many cores you have managed to unlock i'd love to hear it IE: started out with a AMD 9850 BE x4 and unlocked extra core)

The processor im currently running is a AMD 9850 BE and have yet to try it but it seems that the board i have only supports 4 cores. I could be wrong because the supported CPU list shows it does support a 6 core model but i think the core unlocker feature only will only support a max of 4 cores.

:comp:

The 9850 has no locked cores to unlock. It's a Phenom I and there were no six core CPUs in production yet when that one was being manufactured. CPUs with more than four cores didn't come along until the Phenom II Thubans came out.

Thank you for your answer that explains why my mobo probably only gives me the option for four cores considering this cpu has none to unlock :D have you ever tried the core unlocker feature with any processor though ? im kinda curious as to what your experience with it was

Sarge if you look at Trents signiture, he has a AMD 960T, which is sometimes unlockable. He was able to unlock his. Sometimes they can be unlocked to six cores and sometimes only 5.

Thank you for your answer that explains why my mobo probably only gives me the option for four cores considering this cpu has none to unlock :D have you ever tried the core unlocker feature with any processor though ? im kinda curious as to what your experience with it was

Yes, my 960T will unlock to six stable cores but I'm only running it on four cores right now since it will overclock higher on four cores. Very few applications can even take advantage of more that four cores at this time. The 960T is sold as a four core but they start life as a six core. A lot of them will have one or two viable locked cores.

Originally, the core unlocking feature in bios was intended to give greater stability when oveclocking Phenom I CPUs, not to unlock cores. It was called Advanced Clock Calibration or ACC. Then someone accidentally discovered that it sometimes would unlock cores on some CPUs that came with locked cores from the factory. Now a lot of bioses have dropped the ACC label and call it by something else that sounds like core unlocking, especially since that part of the original technology designed to enhance stability in overclocking is now built into the Phenom II and later CPUs.

Last edited:
Back