• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Air Series SP120 Fans - Will they work with a Fan Controller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sokar408

Registered
Simply question

I'm thinking about getting a CM Hyper 212 Evo, mount 2 Corsair Air Series SP120 Performance in a push pull config, and add them both to a simply Zalman Fan Controller http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118217, with a cable splitter http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119248 in order to make both fans run with the same controller.

However being a complete rookie when it comes to fan controllers, I come here asking for your wisdom. Would this work, and would allow me to get better temps/lower noise?

From what I can tell, these fans are 2.16w and the fan controller is rated to 6w. You could (probably) safely run two of those fans on a single controller. Have you considered a Lamptron fan controller instead? They will be a bit more costly, but they can handle substantially more of a load. If you need cheap, you could get the classic four channel Sunbeam Rheobus, which was very popular.

From what I can tell, these fans are 2.16w and the fan controller is rated to 6w. You could (probably) safely run two of those fans on a single controller. Have you considered a Lamptron fan controller instead? They will be a bit more costly, but they can handle substantially more of a load. If you need cheap, you could get the classic four channel Sunbeam Rheobus, which was very popular.

I guess I could, but why would I want manual control of more then those fans (which that controller allows me to have)? Also what is your thoughts on going with that cooling solution?

It's more that there's a lack of high quality single channel fan controllers on the market. How good of a system it is depends on the chip and overclocking goals.

I guess I could, but why would I want manual control of more then those fans (which that controller allows me to have)? Also what is your thoughts on going with that cooling solution?
You don't have to use all the channels. I have a 6 channel Lamptron and I'm only using four of the channels. It gives you the option of expanding in the future and you are getting quality equipment. I'm not sure what your question is regarding. If it was supposed to be about your original post, I already gave my feedback and I firmly stand behind it. Obviously, that doesn't mean you have to follow it, but I have my reasons for suggesting it.

Last edited:
The Hyper 212 Evo is a air cooled type CPU cooler, that for it's price...approx $35......is known to give reasonable results. It is fitted with a single fan, which maybe a Coolermaster A12025-20CB-4BP-F1. Even if yours is not that exact number, the fan is a 4 pin PWM fan.

I am at a loss as to what your goal is. Firstly.....the fans you are proposing to use are not PWM, but rather 3 pin fans. Most modern motherboards these days are fitted with PWM four pin outlets at their CPU_FAN outlet. More, many of these motherboards already have a method of controllig the speed of the fan plugged into this outlet via either the BIOS or onboard (such a Fan Xpert 2 for Asus MBs)
Secondly, the splitter you are proposiong to use is specifically for splitting two PWM fans. It can be used for splitting two 3 pin fans but there are 3 pin splitters available, such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189063.

Assuming that your goal is to improve the airflow through the radiator section of the cooler, plus be able to control, then a better alternative would be to just buy an exact fan as is fitted...buy the splitter you mentioned in your opening thread, and connect to the MB CPU_FAN header.

To assist further, we would need to know your MB.

Back