• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair H100 & HAF-X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrBucket101

Registered
hey guys!!!

Time for my new PC build, so I'm here with some questions.

I've done a bunch of googling and watching of install guides, and the results seem to be mixed about 50/50.

I purchased an additional 200mm fan for the roof of my HAF-X. So I now have 2-200mm fans installed.

Everything I've read says that it is best to install the H100 with a push/pull setup. This means 2-120mm fans on each side.

I'm looking strictly for a performance related answer, ignoring the obvious noise concerns and what not.

Would I be at a disadvantage utilizing 4 fans on the H100, and then mounting it to the roof of my HAF-X, which then has 2-200mm fans on top. I would think I could use 2 fans on the underside of the radiator pushing, and have my 2-200mm fans on the roof pulling.

But I'm just not sure what would be best for my overclock.

If 4 fans + 2 fans on the roof, is indeed the way to go. Do you guys have any recommendations for fans? I've always went with Scythe S-Flex in the past, but they have been discontinued and replaced with the Scythe Kama Flow 2.. I was looking into getting 4 of these for mounting on the h100. Am i looking at the wrong fans since the H100 has a built in fan controller?

New rig
- GTX 670 2GB
- Core i7 3770K
- Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
- G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2400
- OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
- AS5
- Corsair H100
- HAF-X
- Antec Signature Series 650W (PSU from old rig)

let me know what you think

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Best performance, take out the 200mm fans and just mount the H100 with two Scythe GentleTyphoons on either side, four total.

200mm fans don't have the static pressure to do well on rads.

The Gentle Typhoons are discontinued on newegg? Were they replaced by a different model?

I got a 45$ newegg giftcard through the purchase of all my parts, which is why I'm trying to stick to them

Most of us don't get cooling stuff from Newegg, sorry. The GTs are so popular that they're out of stock most of the time and I guess Newegg didn't want to deal with the hassle of getting stock. I think Newegg carries the Cougar Vortex fans which are similar to the GTs.

I guess I can always find something else to use my giftcard on, so its not a terrible huge idea.

Probably going to get flamed for asking, but what site do most of you use for purchasing your cooling products?

I've always just stuck with newegg since i've never had a problem with their CS.

Newegg is a very good site, and often cheaper than everyone else, but they don't have a huge stock of fans, heatsinks, and liquid cooling parts.

Jab Tech, Performance PCs, Frozen CPU are all good ones, there's a few more.

Thanks for the fast responses, they're very appreciated. I'll go browse around the sites listed and see what I can find.

In the WC stickies, there is one for places to buy. Sidewinders is a good smaller place also. Per PCs are more expensive, but they have a LOT. Sidewinders is in OK, PPC is in Florida, Forget where the other ones are, can make a diff in shipping.

Most of us don't get cooling stuff from Newegg, sorry. The GTs are so popular that they're out of stock most of the time and I guess Newegg didn't want to deal with the hassle of getting stock. I think Newegg carries the Cougar Vortex fans which are similar to the GTs.

This is the craziest thing I've ever read, in 2 parts:

1. How arrogant of you to assume that because you are too good for NewEgg (that is the implication) that others aren't perfectly content with them.

2. Apparently you don't know anything about retail. Just because something you have regularly sells out (that's a really GOOD thing in business) it certainly doesn't mean to STOP selling an extremely popular item. Those fans are out of stock nearly everywhere. They are made in Japan by Nindec in Nagano-Gunma. It is an area hit hard by radioactive fallout from Fukushima. The only place I can see them at is FrozenCPU right now.

To be on topic, OP, I was thinking something to that matter, for a while. I have the HAF XM with the dual 200's on top, too. I have an FX-8120 OC'd to 4.0 and the cores run at about 20 idle and 29 Load. The Fintek F71889 is 40/48. I'd like to get them cooler. Frankly, I would go with a louder fan with considerably better static pressure. I don't care about noise.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to imply that at all? :confused: I buy almost all my computer stuff from Newegg and I've never hard a problem with them. They just don't have a huge selection of higher quality fans or carry some heatsinks like the TRUE Spirit series since these are more specialty products. The "sorry" was for recommending something that I knew wasn't available on Newegg since I didn't know he preferred to buy from there. I apologize if I came off the wrong way.

It's nothing wrong with Newegg, it's just that they don't carry some products.

I wasn't trying to imply that at all? :confused: I buy almost all my computer stuff from Newegg and I've never hard a problem with them. They just don't have a huge selection of higher quality fans or carry some heatsinks like the TRUE Spirit series since these are more specialty products. The "sorry" was for recommending something that I knew wasn't available on Newegg since I didn't know he preferred to buy from there. I apologize if I came off the wrong way.

It's nothing wrong with Newegg, it's just that they don't carry some products.

No. It is my fault. I misconstrued your post. entirely my bad. True, NewEgg doesn't carry some things, but they can't carry them all. I build on a budget and I have used NewEgg as a price match for Fry's Electronics, where I can go get things at a price match right away. The stuff I get isn't really top of the line (although I think that the CM HAF XM is the best mid-tower out there) but is the best I can get on my budget.

once again I apologize for the misunderstanding.

This is the craziest thing I've ever read, in 2 parts:

1. How arrogant of you to assume that because you are too good for NewEgg (that is the implication) that others aren't perfectly content with them.

2. Apparently you don't know anything about retail. Just because something you have regularly sells out (that's a really GOOD thing in business) it certainly doesn't mean to STOP selling an extremely popular item. Those fans are out of stock nearly everywhere. They are made in Japan by Nindec in Nagano-Gunma. It is an area hit hard by radioactive fallout from Fukushima. The only place I can see them at is FrozenCPU right now.

To be on topic, OP, I was thinking something to that matter, for a while. I have the HAF XM with the dual 200's on top, too. I have an FX-8120 OC'd to 4.0 and the cores run at about 20 idle and 29 Load. The Fintek F71889 is 40/48. I'd like to get them cooler. Frankly, I would go with a louder fan with considerably better static pressure. I don't care about noise.

He's not too good. Newegg doesn't have a selection of WC parts or true modding accesories. They are the Walmart of the Internet. How odd of you to assume he's elitist about where he buys his stuff.

Maybe Newegg customers don't understand the quality of those fans, judging by most of the comments etc there I'll look elsewhere for experienced input. Have for years.

We know who they are made by. And maybe Newegg ran out, maybe the other places that don't sell billions still have stock. That's retail.:thup:

Glad you don't care about noise, that is your retail choice.:shrug:

EDIT: Glad you worked it out. Must of hit a nerve I guess.

I would think that Walmart would be the WALMART of the internet. :)

And here we go. TRUE MODDING ACCESSORIES? give a definition, price cutoff, purchase source that MAKES it so. And seeing somebody blow 1500 bucks on a MOBO/CPU that pops in a whopping 6 gig of 1600 ram is confusing. Oh yeah, Your MOBO is sold at the Walmart of the internet - most likely for much less than you paid for it. Gimme a break. You are really insulting and don't even realize it.

I apologized to Knufire for my error. You, sir, I am not mistaken, however.

hehe whoa, never intended to spark a debate on which retailer is best.

I've got no problems buying elsewhere, which I just did btw =P

My reasoning was newegg kicked me back a 45$ giftcard based on some of my purchases I just made.

Anyways, I ended up buying 6 of the Scythe GT 1850rpm. I bought them from performance-pcs. They had the cheapest price of the sites listed. 16$ w/ free sleeving/heatshrink. One of the other sites had them at 15$ w/o sleeving/heatshrink, so I assumed I was getting a good bargain. Though any savings I made on the retail price, was paid back in kind through shipping.

I'm going to use 4 of the GT's on my H100, and one more to put in the shroud in front of my GPU. I figured the high static pressure of the GT would help cool my GPU more. Then I got one more just to have extra. With all the talk about how uncommon they are it seemed prudent.

Anyways, I'm not entirely sure this matters, but would it be best to sandwich the H100 in the push/pull setup and then mount it to the underside of my roof. OR would it be best to mount 2 GT's on the roof, and the H100+2 GT's on the underside.

The only differences I can see being moving the H100 upwards an additional 25mm.

Was just a thought i had recently, would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Is the case topopen or is it full of metal with the teeny holes? Cut it out for great airflow if they are there.

Eiter way you mount won't make a diff for airflow though.

Good fans! I got a spare or two also.

here's some pics of the top of the case

cooler_master_haf_x_025.jpg

imageview.php

HAFX_ProuctHighlight_r2_0607.jpg

haf-x-review.jpg

Back