• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) CMZ16GX3M4A2400C10 issues. AMD 8350. 990x.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oOflyeyesOo

Registered
System:
AMD 8350 FX (stock)
Asus crosshair formula-z
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A2400C10
corsair 850W

But anyways. I know this ram is not the perfect fit for this processor and MB, but I figured I would try to give it a go and get it working at a decent pace. It is OCed to 2400mhrz right now, but having horrible read/write speeds. It makes the whole system very sluggish, taking forever to boot into windows, but wants it gets going it can handle some of the basic tasks of web browsing, but always sticks up when programs are being accessed. I noticed that it is going at a dual channel instead of quad. Lowering it down to 1866 does not change the results.

I am no expert, I used one of the profiles to OC it. And heat wise it has been stable with no blue screen. Ill include some different tests I have done. I ran memtest86 and it took 9 hours+ to do 4 and a half passes. No errors occurred.

Attached below.

Attachments

• MemReport.gif
    MemReport.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 321
  • MemReport2.gif
    MemReport2.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 287
  • passmark.png
    passmark.png
    48 KB · Views: 313
  • maxmem.png
    maxmem.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 304
  • cpuz.gif
    cpuz.gif
    23.4 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
have ya tried it with just 2 sticks??? Back in the day AMD's hell even Intels didnt like more than 2 sticks. Not as big an issue these days for Intel but I havent tried AMD with 4 sticks.

Another thing is the FX series is better suited at 1866 try down clocking them to 1866 and see if it improves @ 2sticks and 4 sticks. Would be interested to see those results if you have time.

This is at 1866. It made it worse noticeably. Going to take out the other sticks right now.

Attachments

• 1866.png
    1866.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 296
Yep i know this and they laughed at me the other day and said "RAM IS RAM" Maybe they should take note of this thread and say sorry to me on this subject. AJ. ;) :thup:

Many thanks for the hard work and commitment you have done here. :salute:

Last edited:
well I ran the benchmark you used and mine was alot better 4x4Gb Gskill Snipers 1866. But that program caused some minor issues that forced a reboot so didnt get the comparison shot. My scores were almost doubled yours while latency dropped 16ns. On a side note whilst your shows your ram at 1204 Or 2408 Mhz mine showed at 677 which is strange cause I even verified it in bios upon rebooting its set to XMP 1866. I'm also on SB which has alot better memory controller than the FX unfortunately. But in reality your scores should be better than that for sure.

EDIT: Yeah AJ to some ram is ram but I have seen the differences from rig to rig and even brand to brand on my main. While Ram is RAM it dont always play nice with other components i.e. memory controllers on die

well I ran the benchmark you used and mine was alot better 4x4Gb Gskill Snipers 1866. But that program caused some minor issues that forced a reboot so didnt get the comparison shot. My scores were almost doubled yours while latency dropped 16ns. On a side note whilst your shows your ram at 1204 Or 2408 Mhz mine showed at 677 which is strange cause I even verified it in bios upon rebooting its set to XMP 1866. I'm also on SB which has alot better memory controller than the FX unfortunately. But in reality your scores should be better than that for sure.

EDIT: Yeah AJ to some ram is ram but I have seen the differences from rig to rig and even brand to brand on my main. While Ram is RAM it dont always play nice with other components i.e. memory controllers on die

Yeah, you should be at 933 id think.

I wish I could figure this one out, there are a few options that im not sure of in the bios, but left it default..

oOflyeyesOo, take this for what it's worth. My 8350 doesn't like anything over 1600 when the Cpu is overclocked. I've tried to no avail to get my 2133 sticks stable at any speeds over 1866 and it's a no go. I've messed with the timings including the secondary and tertiary ones. i have been able to run up to about 2k, though it's not at all stable, mearly for benching purposes only. I've increased the NB voltages and Dram, I personally feel that some of the FX's IMC's are just not stout enough to handle high speed ram. I may be wrong but it has at least been the case for myself.

oOflyeyesOo, take this for what it's worth. My 8350 doesn't like anything over 1600 when the Cpu is overclocked. I've tried to no avail to get my 2133 sticks stable at any speeds over 1866 and it's a no go. I've messed with the timings including the secondary and tertiary ones. i have been able to run up to about 2k, though it's not at all stable, mearly for benching purposes only. I've increased the NB voltages and Dram, I personally feel that some of the FX's IMC's are just not stout enough to handle high speed ram. I may be wrong but it has at least been the case for myself.

I dont even have my processor OCed! It only goes to around 4.1. And its not just limiting the speed, its destroying it. When booting windows, it stayed on a black screen for almost 2 minutes before showing the desktop, similar other issues like that. Am I just going to be buying new ram, maybe a recommended by my motherboard? haha

I would try running them at 1600 and see if the problem persists if may not be the ram.

Yeah, 1600 was no better. I will do a full test for you guys when I get home tonight. Everything else passed with flying colors it seemed. I am about to the point where I am going to buy a set on the supported list. I was just seeing if maybe it was just something I didn't have set right.

Attachments

• 1600.png
    1600.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 280
Have you tried the sticks in another machine? Doesn't seem like anybody considered the sticks could be dead/worthy of an RMA.

Have you tried the sticks in another machine? Doesn't seem like anybody considered the sticks could be dead/worthy of an RMA.

I am not sure if I know anyone with a desktop that would be decent to test these out in. I will ask around to see.

Yeah, that's the other thing, 2400 is a stretch for any memory controller besides Haswell. Maybe look at the SPD for lower speed settings that should be guaranteed to work?

Try getting your NB up higher like 26-2700 if you can get it that high. It usually take quite a bump in volts. Unlike Mandrake I can run my 2133 at 2510 but I need my NB up there to make it perform.
Here's a pic of Firestrike if you notice the HT and NB frequencies are both nearly 2700
image_id_968477.jpg

@oOflyeyesOo
These results are about right for standard CPU-NB clocks ... a bit low for 2400 CPU-NB but with 4GHz CPU it's not that bad. If you wish to get higher bandwidth then you have to raise CPU-NB and best if CPU clock too. Also memory on this platform is not really scalling above 1866 so I would try something like 1866 9-10-10 or 2133 9-11-11 ~1.65V and try to work on sub timings or something else.

@oOflyeyesOo
These results are about right for standard CPU-NB clocks ... a bit low for 2400 CPU-NB but with 4GHz CPU it's not that bad. If you wish to get higher bandwidth then you have to raise CPU-NB and best if CPU clock too. Also memory on this platform is not really scalling above 1866 so I would try something like 1866 9-10-10 or 2133 9-11-11 ~1.65V and try to work on sub timings or something else.

1866 is even worse. It makes the computer barely operable.... I can assure all of you that this is faaaaar from normal. I feel like im running windows 98 over here.

1866 is even worse. It makes the computer barely operable.... I can assure all of you that this is faaaaar from normal. I feel like im running windows 98 over here.

I took a look at your maxmem score Here take a look at this that's just the 8350.

mem1.JPG

Back