• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Vengeance clock speed issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scryden

Hello,

I am new to overclocking and have a weird issue.

My mainboard is an MSI MS-7760. This board has 2x quad channel DDR3.
When I bought my pc, there was already 4x4 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 installed in one of the two quad channels.
Yesterday I bought an extra kit 4x4 GB to fill the second quad channel. The memory kit is exactly the same. So it is also 4x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 9-9-9-24.

Before I installed the new kit, my BIOS reports that the DRAM frequency was set to 1600MHz (like the sticker on RAM sticks report). After I installed the second quad channel kit, my mobo reports that overclocking failed and settings were reset to default. I noticed that the DRAM frequency was set back to 1333MHz. So I manually adjusted it back to 1600MHz and rebooted the PC. Immediately my mobo reports again that overclocking failed and cannot boot, so again settings were reset to default and now I am able to boot into Windows.

So my question is if anyone can tell me what the big difference is with 1 quad channel installed and 2 quad channels installed? All 8 memory sticks are equal, that is same manufacturer, same model, same speeds, same latencies and same size. Why am I unable to run the recommended DRAM frequency?

PS: CPU-Z reports 666.7MHz. This was higher before the installation.

On another forum I found out that default the sticks are running on 1.45V which is causing them to run 1333mhz max. However, I can nowhere find that voltage configuration in my BIOS (ClickBIOS II). But there is a X.M.P profile available which I can enable. When I do that, the BIOS applies a profile of 9-9-9-24 latency and 1600MHz @ 1.5V. Exactly what the stickers on the RAM sticks report! But sad enough after a reboot the mobo reports again that overclocking has failed and settings were reset to default...

Last edited by a moderator:
The DRAM voltage options in your BIOS are called DDR CH_A/B Voltage and DDR CH_C/D Voltage. The BIOS / EFI is what sets the effective DRAM frequency to DDR3-1333, and not the fact that the DRAM voltage is 1.45V. Also make sure the current BIOS revision is the most current 2.3. And after changing the DRAM freq. to DDR3-1600 at 9-9-9-24-2T and 1.5V, make sure to first boot to Memtest86+ installed to a thumb drive in order to check the RAM for stability before attempting to boot into the OS. If Memtest86+ shows errors w/ those settings and the latest BIOS revision, then take CPU I/O Voltage off Auto and manually adjust it to approx. 1.15V. You may also need to bump the DRAM voltage from 1.5 to 1.55V or so, all this due to the fact that 32GB of RAM are installed in a quad-channel config.

Last edited:
Back