• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair XMS3 Dominator 24GB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiptonSu

Registered
Hey,

I was wondering If I buy another set of my RAM, would they work together correctly? Or will they cause problems with each other? I'm currently running a GTX 480, i7-950, and a Asus Rampage GENE III motherboard. The current RAM that I'm running is the corsair XMS3 Dominators (3 sticks of 4GB each) in triple channel. My question would be if I were to buy another set of these corsair XMS3 Dominators, would they work together? So I'd have a total of 24GBs.

It's not guaranteed as both kits will probably have different IC ( and some sub timings ). Also on these boards you probably won't run 24GB on full speed and you will have to lower memory clock or timings. I don't know what set you already have but it's hard to set anything above 1600 on all 6 memory slots especially with 4GB sticks.
I would save money for some upgrade in future than spend it on additional 12GB unless of course you really need more RAM.

If you can get exactly the same PN and revision ( it's marked on the label ) then it should be ok for 1600 9-9-9.
You may need to raise QPI/VTT voltage to make it stable but that's all.

Back