• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cortana, you're fired!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If entire new hardware still produced the same issue, a very out there guess I would have is really high electrical noise that is affecting your PC. Too close to a unshielded electrical panel? Huge 480V electric motor buzzing away inches from the case? A 3kW transmitter just 100' away? All of that and you're using a plexiglass case? Your guess is as good as mine.:confused:

Your link is dead but since you raised the question, follow through.
So I have a retail brick&mortar store bought Windows 8 on Skylake.

What does the word "support" exactly mean.

Yes, I heard about Microsoft backpedaling on Skylake with this initially being 2017 then 2018 and now it's 2020 but specifically, does support mean, support-support, like I have a problem Microsoft and need support
or
Windows Updates - the only thing that matters for us.

So is this about support-support or are Windows Updates (and nothing else) still good until 2023 on Skylake as well as every other platform on Windows 8, true or false?
I expect an answer within a fortnight from you. ;)

Well that was quick! Our man 'Cuda340 :D

6th Gen Intel Core devices on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 will be supported with all applicable security updates until the end of support for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

Therefore Skylake, as 6th Gen, is as good as anything before it until the end! Thank you 'Cuda340

So only if you buy yet unreleased motherboards, then you are stuck on Windows 10.
Everything out today should be good on Windows 8.1 until 2023.

But things are not like they use to be, they will wait us out and in 2023, we will all be most of us will switch to Windows 10 unless there is a game changing event and nothing points to that realistically today.
We're just fighting to have the option until 2023. And it looks like that option will still be there until 2023.
Then free Windows 10 between 2023 and 2025 and then...
in 2025, subscription time :)

Oh.
Well on the topic of being stuck for real so I initially also heard about Skylake Windows 8 "support" expiring in 2017 and I almost didn't buy my new system. I just wanted to pretend I would just swallow Windows 10 modification limitations and that's it.

But then I heard they extended it to 2018 and Alaric posted abut 2020 and then 'Cuda posted essential proof there is no Skylake expiry...

I am still a little confused about all these inaccurate headlines...

And why do you guys call One Drive - Scum Drive?
What exactly is wrong with it?

And why do you guys call One Drive - Scum Drive?
What exactly is wrong with it?

ScamDrive =P, Cloud based storage, like any internet connected storage, has a possibility of being hacked and your data being stolen. Look at the PSN hack, Visa hacks, etc for examples. It's a security hazard, and a disgusting (imo) baiting trick by Microsoft (and others who run cloud drive services that are built into OS's, i.e. iCloud) to, once you fill up your free storage, it may make less technically savvy people think they've run out of storage (when they've got perfectly useable storage on their phone or whathaveyou) and thus tricks them into paying monthly for something they do not need or likely want. It also pisses me off to no end that it's the default save location for Microsoft Office among other things. Fortunately, OneDrive in Windows 10 can be disabled via group policy so it can't be saved to, does not appear as the default save location, and does not appear in File Explorer. For me, the idea fundamentally bothers me. Others may differ.

I don't want it and don't want to even see it. What's Microsoft's motivation to push this? What do they get out of it?

My first attempt with 1607 resulted in a broken installation. I had to use my 1511 USB installer to salvage and rebuild a working system. Then I got it installed after another try using a system mounted .iso on my boot drive. So far so good.

1607 update bricked my OS... could only run the OS in Safe Mode afterwords... ended up having to download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to a USB and do a clean fresh install... took many attempts before it worked but it's stable now :rolleyes:

Back