• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cortana, you're fired!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have to admit, I haven't tried the v9 SageTV as I still have my copies of v7. Going open source it seems that the focus is on a Linux setup, with some working on the Windows port. It has been out for some time and I figured the Windows port would be more mature by now. It seems the current v9 is supposed to be copied over a v7 install, so you could try installing v7 first, then overwrite the files necessary with the v9 ones.

I have a not uncommon TV Tuner.
I failed to get a single DVR program working on Windows 10, where there is no Windows Media Center. Actually I managed to install a hacked WMC on Windows 10 and I can get picture - but that's not what this is about. TV guide where you can select what to record is what this is about. Microsoft has a way not to allow you to get TV guide somehow.
I reboot into Windows 8 and the guide goes through.
But in Window 10, it will not allow it, and research reveals that on Windows 10, only very few zip codes can get the TV guide.

There is no question or doubt that Microsoft does not want us recording TV shows on Windows 10.

People have DVRs so no big deal. But absolutely a huge deal in households without a DVR who need to record a show or two once a week, if that.

If anyone wants me to test anything on Windows 10, I can, but I tested what I could find.

This is my tuner. It works perfectly on Windows 8 and 10. But no TV guide on Windows 10.
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr950q.html

An update for anyone looking at a PCI based TV tuner from Hauppauge. It took over a month to get mine due to two delays on their end. I'm not sure what the issue was, but I assume production issues. It's a quad tuner on a half height card and takes up much less space than my previous Hauppauge-maybe not a good thing as I'll explain. Short version: The picture quality is definitely sub par. I don't know if the hardware is at fault, or the half a**ed software, but a channel that broadcasts in 720p is showing up with what appears to be 480i resolution. Besides not recognizing all the channels, it's like watching an old CRT television. I am pretty far from pleased so far. I'll be ordering W7 Pro today and will follow up if Media Center shows a marked improvement in picture quality. It has to be the software or the card itself, though. For the moment, the Hauppauge Quad TV Tuner (model #1609) is definitely not recommended, especially if you are restricted to Hauppauge's clunky, semi functional software. Save your money, or at least hold on to it until I can get some more comprehensive data.

I also bought tried and sold several of these years ago.
It's interesting that this has not been fixed.

For quality capturing I stick with an ancient card that is not supposed to work on modern Windows, but I am still interested in ANYTHING, just anything that would display any kind of watchable picture on Windows 10 - provided it can be recorded with two clicks,

1. TV GUIDE
2. Click to record
3. Profit

That two click goal is not possible on Windows 10 with Windows Media Center because hacked WMC on 10 is only working in one or two zip codes.
Hauppage is useless (thanks for that Alaric)

Nobody has been able to post any Windows 10 working alternative so far, with *clear* instructions on how to set it up.

What does 'good' mean?
People buy them to
A. Capture quality picture.
And / or
B. Use as a DVR

If there is no simple and quick to use DVR, then everything else is pretty much irrelevant if you need it to DVR TV and most people do.

And there is no easy to use DVR unless you use Windows 7 or you bought currently unbuyable Windows Media Center for Windows 8

Hacked WMC for Win10 does not exist in working DVR state for Windows 10 for 99% of people.

Moved Wingman's post to his own thread. Though this thread has gone the way of tuner cards and away from its intent(?), it is better off in its own space. :)

Cortana has left the building

Windows 7 Pro x64 has arrived. Now to install and check c627627's update and "SP2" rollup thread for the best chance of success. Cortana has left the building.

I seem to have misplaced the knowledge of how to change the thread title. LOL

Last edited:
Windows 7 and Windows 10 are selling side by side for the same price, $139 at Microcenter.

Be sure to post how your off line Windows 7 2016 installation went.
You don't really need the DVD since you would be installing it from Windows 7+SP1+2016 updates media.
If you install Windows 7+SP1 only, you may end up in a world of pain trying to get from 2011 to 2016. At the very least, you will have wasted hours of time, waiting for the download of hundreds of updates to even begin.

On the other hand, if installing from 2016 media, it should take you minutes to create, and minutes to install a 2016 version of Windows 7.
Post here when done, if *anything* was less than 100% crystal clear.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/775169

Windows 7 and Windows 10 are selling side by side for the same price, $139 at Microcenter.

Be sure to post how your off line Windows 7 2016 installation went.
You don't really need the DVD since you would be installing it from Windows 7+SP1+2016 updates media.
If you install Windows 7+SP1 only, you may end up in a world of pain trying to get from 2011 to 2016. At the very least, you will have wasted hours of time, waiting for the download of hundreds of updates to even begin.

On the other hand, if installing from 2016 media, it should take you minutes to create, and minutes to install a 2016 version of Windows 7.
Post here when done, if *anything* was less than 100% crystal clear.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/775169

It's me, Alaric. I'm having problems getting the password reset email (OC has problems with Hotmail). So far my W7 install has been an epic fail. Windows 7 refused to see the HDD all my drivers are stored on, so I can't get online with it. In fact, it didn't see any of the other drives. A 32 GB flash drive, a 300 GB Maxtor USB external HDD, or the 4 TB WD HDD in my rig. Windows 7 installs as blind as Ray Charles. I'm at a loss on this one. I'm going to start a thread for this, I just wanted to let you know it's me using a temporary account until I get the reset email. A fun day all the way around if you're in to profanity and hair pulling. And not in a hot-date kind of way, more like a "Where's my Linux distro!?!?!?" kind of way. :bang head:bang head:bang head

Why does OC have a problem with Hotmail? Windows 7 does not have drivers for your network chip?

Did you install Windows 7 original 2009 iso
or Windows 7+SP1 2011 iso
or Windows 7+SP1 + all updates until April 2016 iso?

I'm baaaaack! Big thanks to ATMINSIDE for the helping hand and rapid response. I'm going to copy the above post for a new thread now that my account is back. I can't say enough good things about the mods here. They are responsive and willing to jump right in to solve a problem. Which is pretty cool considering the workload behind the scenes for a volunteer force. :salute:

edit: First I'm going to the W7 roll up/update thread started by c627627 and do some work so I'm ready for the help I'm going to ask for. Due diligence. :)

You need to install mobo drivers but more importantly, why install the 2011 Windows 7+SP1, do you realize how long it will take you to update that thing to 2016, you could have just integrated everything and started from 2016 instead of 2011...

I don't understand your last question. You need to install all motherboard drivers on Windows 7, absolutely.

The port being active is one thing, and part of the OS (unless its a 3rd party controller), yes. However depending on what device is at the other end IT may need a driver to function properly.

Back