• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could you fit a 120mm fan on an slk-900?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
the top of it is 99mm long, so i was wondering if you could just bend out the fan holding clips to fit on a 120mm fan?

(kind of like a 92mm fan on an slk-800)

Not sure, but I'll try it out when I get back to my dorm and let ya know.

You might not have to bend out the clips but instead, pull a little jig with some sort of homemade cage that holds the fan on top.

couldnt you userubber bands if you had to? but if one were to snap and the fan falls off that could overheat the cpu and damage other components when the fan strikes the underside of the vid card.

yes

Yes, my 120mm Vantec Stealth will fit if I stretch the clips. I'm not sure you will see much of a performance increase because much of the increased airflow will be around the heatsink instead of through it because of the extra width of the fan.

The dead spot on an axial 120mm fan will be very large... It might be a better idea to construct a duct for the fan to blow through. That might create more of a tube of airflow like a centrifugal blower creates... the deadspot above the die with a 120 would have to be considerable and I would doubt if better temps would be seen.

If you really want to go hardcore i'd recommend a squirrel cage blower ducted properly the heatsink. If you find one the right size you can have a lot of fun with 150CFM+ :D

so, if I was to rig up some duct it wuld work well?

or should I just stick with a 92mm? or would even a TT smart fan 2 be better?

stick with a 92mm, unless you really want the 120mm, but make sure you make some kind of duct for it as its gonna have a huge dead spot in the middle, so leave a few inches for the air to spread out.

leave a few inches on the 92mm? or the 120mm? or both?

sorry, i'm kind of a n00b at thise whole deadspot thing, I'm learning though.

I don't think there's a need on the 92mm, but you'd be hard-pressed to get any improvements from going from 80mm to 92mm.

The airflow pattern in a DC axial fan is funnel shaped, widening as it goes from the fan. If the edges of the fan are beyond the edges of the heatsink, then a lot of air isn't going to even contact the heatsink directly. That's why i'd recommend you go for 80mm unless you want to duct (and if you aren't familiar with fluid dynamics i recommend you don't bother and just get an 80mm)

alright, thanks for the info, I think i'll just get a smart fan 2 then.

If i'm going to use the smart fan 2 would it be better to just use the slk-800 since I wouldn't be taking advantage of the slk-900's ability to use 92mm fans well.

Well I really like the SLK-900 with a 92m/m Pansonic Panflo...Keeps temps about like a "screamer" 80m/m fan without the "scream"...;)

Is the L1A….42.7 CFM…27dB-A
http://www.directron.com/92l1a.html
Is the M1A….48 CFM…30dB-A
http://www.directron.com/f298.html
I have also run the H1A…56.8 CFM…35.0dB-A…Compared to the Y.S. Tech manually adjustable 80m/m fan that is on the Swifty in my sig rig that does 48.7 CFM…39.5dB-A WFO they are quiet…the M1A from Directron is the one that I really like…have to buy a three pin adapter for it, but that aint no thang…48CFM@30dB-A compared to [email protected] You are right sounds like a BIG difference to me…Or that is what my ears are telling me...And what exactly is your point??? My point is that a 92m/m fan will push alot more air than a 80m/m fan at the same dB-A...I really believe that the SLK-900 with either the M1A or the H1A is a combination that the cooling ability versus the noise level is hard to beat...How many 80m/m fans do you know of that will push [email protected]???

I'd suggest using thin (~0.040") lexan/plastic (look around, its sold at many places) and double-sided foam tape. It will act as a shrowd AND a mount when cut right. It might be a bit noisier than w/o the lexan shrowd, but if spaced an inch or three from the fins, you'll get near the full cfm of the fan over all the fins, meaning you can now hit the fins in the typical 80/92mm fan deadspot under the hub better.

would cardboard or plastic work as a temporary solution to make the shrowd out of?

has anyone tried this yet? get the high-end power of tornado/deltas without the high-end noise...

Back