• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could you fit a 120mm fan on an slk-900?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, where'd this come from?

anyway, now i have a 92mm tornado, and a sunbeam rheobus.

are these long enough to counteract some of that axial center deadspot problem? has anyone tried it yet? good or bad results?

on the tornado it has the airflow straightening vanes built into it, so it helps to alleviate some of it.

Honestly all fans will have a deadspot, to solve it you need to either duct it or space it off the heatsink.

Exactly... so are those 120mm->80mm adapter things long enough to have the "ducting" effect and eliminate the large dead centerspot of the 120mm fans?

yea, but 120mm fans don't have enough backpressure to push air through them real well.

they work, just not as well as you'd think.

But, most do elimate, or almst elimate teh deadspot.

I'm not sure if anyone here has mentioned this yet, but if you improperly mount a heavy object (fan with duct or just fan) you may cause damage to your cpu core and socket if it gets heavy and off balanced. Your best bet would be to suspend the fan above the heatsink and connect a light duct to the heatsink. Thats your best bet.

fubulg6000 said:
I'm not sure if anyone here has mentioned this yet, but if you improperly mount a heavy object (fan with duct or just fan) you may cause damage to your cpu core and socket if it gets heavy and off balanced. Your best bet would be to suspend the fan above the heatsink and connect a light duct to the heatsink. Thats your best bet.

That's true, but the slk-900 bolts to the motherboard, so it isn't going anywhere.

Back