• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Cooler or CPU Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hey guys I have a FX-8150 and yesterday purchase an H55 but people are telling me that I should upgrade instead to an FX-8320/8350. Well My issue was my CPU is a bit loud due to the cooling fan and wanted a quite cpu. However having a new cpu seems appealing to me but the cooling will be an issue. The Hyper 212 does ok but not great due to the fact the room is much warmer. I was thinking a closed loop cooler will do a much better job but I am not sure. If I do end up buying an FX-8120 I will have to sell my FX-8150 first to pay the difference.

What is your guys take on this?

Thanks!

An H55 is pretty old stuff. Corsair and it's AIO adventure made many early mistakes. The H55 could be considered one of them.

A top notch air cooled cooler will beat the H55 hands down. Send it back.

Phanteks and others are better.

An AIO might get you 5C over the 212 Plus. Won't be any quieter though.

If you want quiet, PH-TC14PE or NH-D14 are the way to go.

unless you go for phase-change or chilled LCS no matter which AOI or AirHS you choose will solve the problem.

The best you can achieve under load on air or under water is probably +10 °C above ambient.... and you need a BIG HS or a very large RAD or very loud fans for that.
If your room temp is already +30 °C, then load is going to be +40 °C (more likely +50°C).

unless you go for phase-change or chilled LCS no matter which AOI or AirHS you choose will solve the problem.

The best you can achieve under load on air or under water is probably +10 °C above ambient.... and you need a BIG HS or a very large RAD or very loud fans for that.
If your room temp is already +30 °C, then load is going to be +40 °C (more likely +50°C).
this is some good information thank you.

is the H 55 good enough or should I grab something more higher on the air cooler side of things Or clc?

The H55 is roughly the equivalent of a paperweight. It has a tiny radiator and the 8xxx will overpower its cooling ability with anything more than a mild OC.

I wouldn't go less than the two coolers I listed earlier, personally.

If you're hell-bent on AIO, get the H100i/H110.

it seems I can only afford right now the following CPU coolers NH-D14 Or h80i. which is a much better route between those two?

The NH-D14 is going to be quieter and more reliable.

H80i will cool 1-2C better.

Edit: Here's how much quieter the D14 is, and how much cooler an H100i is. H80i is in the middle of the two on temps.

Personally, on the Corsair AIO side of things I'd recommend the original H80 and H100 over the H80i and H100i. The newer ones just have far too many manufacturing issues for my tastes.

I've found the older ones to be more reliable in my experiences with them.

On the air side, the Noctua NH-D14 is a good cooler, though rather expensive for an air cooler.

I really don't think the CPU upgrade should be necessary, and between the ones you listed I don't see you getting much of a performance boost by upgrading. Plus you'd still have the heat problems if you stick with your current cooler.

Thanks guys I order the NH-D14 will be here in Thursday. XD I will compare temps and see how well it works with my system. Will post results here once I have it. I know it will be massive and huge but at least is an air cooler and don't have to worried about leaks.

Well I cancel my order for now after being excited. I think I will research more and wait for the new CPU from AMD come out to see if I will stick with this platform Also the holidays are near Black Friday might help save a lot on that cooler since is pretty pricey.

Back