• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu Cooler Question ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

insanedeath44

Registered
what is the best air cooler available beside the Noctua NH-D14 cause i don't think that cpu cooler would work with my vengence corsair ram .
thxs

I would double check dimensions before you assume that, for as big as the D14 is it actually has a decent foot print to get along with taller memory, on 3 different mobo's I've used one on, the cooler itself did not get close to "over" the RAM slots, only the 2nd fan for the outmost portion of it did, and only on one of the motherboards.

If your running one that has super tight area close to the socket, the still tried and TRUE (lol see what i did there) is a great way to go still. actually it's the only way to go if your want top shelf cooling without the bulk of the D14/Silver Arrow.

I would double check dimensions before you assume that, for as big as the D14 is it actually has a decent foot print to get along with taller memory, on 3 different mobo's I've used one on, the cooler itself did not get close to "over" the RAM slots, only the 2nd fan for the outmost portion of it did, and only on one of the motherboards.

If your running one that has super tight area close to the socket, the still tried and TRUE (lol see what i did there) is a great way to go still. actually it's the only way to go if your want top shelf cooling without the bulk of the D14/Silver Arrow.

The motherboard I have is a sabertooth p67 with corsair vengeance 8gb . Do u know any one with a set up like mine that is using the d14

Actually the P67 Sabertooth was the P67 board I used with the D14

It will work, with using slot's 2/4 (which for some reason offer slightly better bandwidth)
And you'd have to use the 120 on the opposite side (just flip for airflow). I actually did a lot of playing with fan configurations on the D14 when I had it.. push pull offered the same temps as push push for me.

edit:// just woke up from nap when I posted this, just noticed that your running 8gb, IF that's via 4 sticks then It's probably going to have clearance Issues with that tall ram for slot 1, if your running 2x4gb then should be good to go in 2/4
DSC00319.jpg

It will work, with using slot's 2/4 (which for some reason offer slightly better bandwidth)
And you'd have to use the 120 on the opposite side (just flip for airflow). I actually did a lot of playing with fan configurations on the D14 when I had it.. push pull offered the same temps as push push for me.

edit:// just woke up from nap when I posted this, just noticed that your running 8gb, IF that's via 4 sticks then It's probably going to have clearance Issues with that tall ram for slot 1, if your running 2x4gb then should be good to go in 2/4
DSC00319.jpg

yeah im only using 2x4gb ram and they are on slot 2/4 here is a pic .
IMG_20110712_152845%252520%2525282%252529.jpg

Yup, judging from the way that V6 set's in relation to the sockets.. the D14 itself wont come over the ram any more than that does, it'll just be the fan that would be the problem I'm guessing, so like I said, if you want to use it.. just flip the 120 to the back and have it blowing towards your rear exhaust.

edit:.. OR just run with the 140, if you have decent airflow through the case, the difference between running the 120 + 140 vs just the 140 in the middle were actually quite negligible. like 2-4c at full load (saturated) IIRC

oh.. and :welcome: to the forums mate :thup:

Yup, judging from the way that V6 set's in relation to the sockets.. the D14 itself wont come over the ram any more than that does, it'll just be the fan that would be the problem I'm guessing, so like I said, if you want to use it.. just flip the 120 to the back and have it blowing towards your rear exhaust.

edit:.. OR just run with the 140, if you have decent airflow through the case, the difference between running the 120 + 140 vs just the 140 in the middle were actually quite negligible. like 2-4c at full load (saturated) IIRC

oh.. and :welcome: to the forums mate :thup:

is the d14 best air cooler for a CPU? as right now?

IMHO yes, While there are some "similar" performers (True Arrow, etc) There are none that best it. It's a beautiful cooler with a great mounting system (which I can tell you WILL work on your p67) .. Noctua put's out some top quality stuff, and their fans have a great performance/noise ratio.

IMHO yes, While there are some "similar" performers (True Arrow, etc) There are none that best it. It's a beautiful cooler with a great mounting system (which I can tell you WILL work on your p67) .. Noctua put's out some top quality stuff, and their fans have a great performance/noise rat

are u running this cooler right now? u doing any oc ? how it performs? the one I got does high 60's at 4.6ghz

Sounds like a cool running SB you have, I wasn't so fortunate. My 2600K ran HOT! at that same speed I was topping out at 78C on mine with around 1.35v I believe. But I had a high leakage cpu. ON the 965 I ran it on however I could never get a core above 45c with it compared to a TRUE spirit which maxed at about 53c with same OC.

I dont runt that cooler or cpu setup anymore , on a thuban under water currently.. Dont take my temps with it and my 2600k to heart though, even under water MY 2600K maxed at 70c. :eek:

Honestly though, Not sure what proc your running but 4.6 @ high 60's aint too shabby, but if your running that cool with a V6, IMHO you could probably peel back at least 5-6C (conservatively speaking) with the D14

Sounds like a cool running SB you have, I wasn't so fortunate. My 2600K ran HOT! at that same speed I was topping out at 78C on mine with around 1.35v I believe. But I had a high leakage cpu. ON the 965 I ran it on however I could never get a core above 45c with it compared to a TRUE spirit which maxed at about 53c with same OC.

I dont runt that cooler or cpu setup anymore , on a thuban under water currently.. Dont take my temps with it and my 2600k to heart though, even under water MY 2600K maxed at 70c. :eek:

Honestly though, Not sure what proc your running but 4.6 @ high 60's aint too shabby, but if your running that cool with a V6, IMHO you could probably peel back at least 5-6C (conservatively speaking) with the D14[/

Yeah this cm v8 is not too bad. I think I'm going to get the D14. Like u say I prolly get some c less. I want watercooling but I don't know.

DSC00319.jpg

hey one question. since u have a sabertooth motherboard like me. is the usb connector on the motherboard have power at all time ? cause i shut the pc off and had my phone hook up to the usb and i was still charging ?

A lot of new boards have the charge while off feature these days.
Generally can be turned off in the BIOS if you wanted to though but hey - why not utilise it? :)

Back