• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU cooler upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GilbertC06

So about a few months ago I got an H55. Honestly it works fine especially since I have 2 corsair sp120 on it. But I was wondering if there were any better options for me at this point. I would gladly go out and get an h100i right now if I could but as you can see I am stuck with a CM storm scout and it would break my budget if I had to buy another case. Any thoughts?

Pretty much a Phantek air cooler beats that old first generation.

Get a 120x2 AIO or go custom watercooling.

The H55 can only do so much.

Let's say my budget is a 100 bucks. And again, limited case space.

Go NH-D14 or PH-TC14PE, they'll be quieter than any AIO, and only about 2C warmer than the H100i.

Go NH-D14 or PH-TC14PE, they'll be quieter than any AIO, and only about 2C warmer than the H100i.

It pains me to say even those have problems fitting in my case. I'm actually thinking of just shelling out for a new one before even considering a new cooler.

It pains me to say even those have problems fitting in my case. I'm actually thinking of just shelling out for a new one before even considering a new cooler.

The Storm Scout fits the D14 just fine IIRC.

Last I checked, I had seen pictures of it all working.

Edit: 77a235ab_da262a73_IMG_1385.jpeg

Here is my setup just to get some perspective.

2013-09-11235050.jpg

2 door fans

2013-09-11235127.jpg

Closeup of pull push config on rad.

2013-09-11235122.jpg

Just pull off the upper door fan and the D14 should slip in just fine :thup:

Just pull off the upper door fan and the D14 should slip in just fine :thup:

Well before I go out and order one I think I need to look at the temps.

I couldn't find much on a 965 with the noctua but I did find this video.

Now what is interesting about this video is that not only is the proc at the default clock but also the user somehow is using a lower voltage than the default. the default is 1.375 whereas his is at 1.25.

I guess what I'm asking is how much of a difference will the temps be at?

While we are on the subject what do you think about custom water cooling kits like this one?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...ed_w_Free_Dead-Water.html?tl=c83s137b49#blank

I might go that way in a few years when I build a new system from the ground up.

It's not a bad "starter" kit, its definitely better as most AIO's , except the Swiftech 220 which is hands down the best AIO-alike on the market (*).
And it can be expanded later to include GPU... but i'ld go for the D5 variant ; the D5 has a better track record as the submerged 750 (Jingway?)
http://www.xs-pc.com/watercooling-kits/raystorm-d5-ex240-watercooling-kit

(*) There are some availability issues with the Swiftech kit
http://www.swiftech.com/H220.aspx

What you should do, is not try to find your exact setup.

Just look at how much cooler the D14 (or any heatsink you're looking at) runs than your H55. Then figure out your temps from there.

Back