• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU emitting some buzzing noises

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, I tried different mouse. MS Intellipoint 3.0
I barely can hear the buzzing, sometimes.
I think mouses like, say, the Sidewinder have no stable voltage use, its dependent on activity and so they produce CPU voltage fluctuations, stabilizing the voltage produces buzzz. Maybe this could be fixed by separate driver.

I never found an actual solution to this problem. I ended up working around it by disabling the C6 state and the other option listed in step 5 of my original post.

I have the same problem. I just bought a EVGA GTX 660 SC 2gb, and I have a 480W PSU and my CPU is an AMD FX 4100 quad-core. everytime I go into a game it buzzes by the CPU area. To my knowledge from researching, I believe its only a power problem where the GPU starts sucking more power and the CPU is straining for power. Its not much of a problem I believe though, im buying a 650W or 750W PSU and i will install it and come back to tell you guys if the noise is still happening. Also with the lack of power, my CPU likes to bottleneck randomly on BF3

Okay, I've run into the weirdest problem that I thought some of you guys may be able to help with.

TL;DR
My CPU is making an odd buzzing sound that is related to C-states.

Long version
I bought a new A6-3500 Llano paired with Asus F1A75-I Deluxe motherboard. I put it together and noticed that it starts to make a buzzing sound as soon as Windows boots, and sometimes in the bios interface. It sounds like the sound that older hard drives used to make when they were seeking.

1) Buzzing sound is unrelated to any fans, since it persists with all the fans unplugged and the power supply moved far enough away that I would be able to tell the direction of the sound.
1+) Also not from hard drive since the sound persists even when I disconnect HDD and boot Linux off a USB (also shows it's not Windows related)
1++) Also not coming from speakers as all speakers, including system speaker, are disconnected.
2) The buzzing sound appears to be coming from around the CPU socket.
3) The sound changes frequency when I move the mouse and goes back to the same frequency when I stop moving the mouse
4) Sound disappears when the CPU is under load
5) Problems 3 and 4 made me think that it's related to power cycling transition, when the motherboard switches the CPU on and off rapidly. To address this, I found that disabling BOTH C-6 state and some ambiguous "C-state Pmin" option in the bios completely makes the sound disappear
6) Thinking it was some weird vibrating capacitor of the motherboard, I RMAd the motherboard, but the new board still makes the same noise
7) This leads me to believe that it's the processor but I don't have time to keep RMAing things

So has anyone else run into anything similar?

Any clue as to what's causing this?

hello man,

This is called power shortage for high clocking, this is caused because of the power plan your using on your pc, download a CPU watcher like MSI afterburn http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/MSI-Afterburner.shtml this can tell you what clocking is your cpu at Probably your cpu is at 3500+ when it is a buzzing sound come from the high Electric Activity inside the coils. dont worry though its normal and most new PC's have the same issue but not all people can hear it.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, If u change the clocking to low you will not hear the sound anymore, but sure you will suffer from performance problems, i suggest you buy a high end cooling system like liquid cooling or so for you to make sure your CPU is always cool and never get stress heat.

Back