• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Fan Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KnowledgeByTech

Apparently (if I've heard correctly) if you are running your AIO on max fan speed 24/7 your PC'll fail to boot after shutting down... I wish I knew that earlier... I've watched videos of how to fix my kind of problem BUT mine is a little different. The videos suggest going to the BIOS and fixing things, but my PC isn't making it to the BIOS and keeps shutting off after barely posting the error (CPU Fan Error). I tried clearing the RTC RAM, checking connections, and even mashing F2 trying to get to BIOS before it shuts off. I got to BIOS ONCE and then it shut off again after flashing the BIOS screen for a second.

What should I do now?

:welcome:
I have not heard of that issue caused by running an AIO at full speed. That is news to me. I had a similar problem on my last rig giving an error for fan speed too low. I got the error because it was too low. I like to run big fans at low speeds. Similar air movement to small fans at high speeds but without the noise. For me, the fix was in the BIOS. There was a place to set the fan speed alert and I was able to lower that threashold which got rid of the error.

To give us even a chance of helping out, we need a detailed list of your equipment. What CPU, MB, GPU, PSU, etc. You'll see that most members here list those in their sig and update the sig as needed over the years. List your gear and I'm sure we can come up with a plan of attack.

Don.

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
FX-9590 w/. Corsair H110i GTX 280mm AIO
R9 390X Tri-X OC
G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600
EVGA 212-GQ-1000W 80+ Gold

Last edited:
Maybe put that in your signature, your list. ;)

I've never heard of this either...

Well the obvious thing that jumps out to me is to take the aio off the header and put a regular fan on it to get to the bios and disable it checking. Then plug it back in. The cpu will be fine, but do it quickly.

Last edited:
Never heard of that either.

How is your AIO pump connected to motherboard power? There should be a dedicated header for the AIO pump.

Also, if you have a dedicated CPU fan header on the motherboard it needs to be used by something or you will either get errors at post or no post.

But I'm guessing something else is wrong.

Back