• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu fan spins at max speed no matter what

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oh_noes

Registered
hello my cpu will run at full speed no matter what

i assembled the computer last night

cpu is i5-2500 (not k model)
cooler is akasa-cce-7103-ep
mobo is msi h61mu-e35
bios is latest version,flashed before installing os
os is win7 ultimate 64bit

bios shows temps around 50-55 celcius
msi control center and speedfan show 35-40 celcius for each core

speeedfan won't let me adjust my fan speed(probably because my mobo isn't supported)
my bios doesn't have a fan speed feature other than choosing a target temp and letting bios handle it

things i have tried
_chose target temp as 70 celcius in bios to see if it would slow down-no change in speed,that feature is disabled atm
_unplugged and plugged the fan header,it never was at any point plugged to somewhere other than cpu fan slot
_removed and re-installed the heatsink

it is slow before post,goes full speed after post

i'd really appriciate any suggestions,the noise is kinda bad =)
thanks in advance for any help

are your using a 4 pin fan, and you have installed newest control center utility from msi for your mobo? latest control center utility is from 7/20/2011. Also do you know whether your bios is reporting core temps or cpu, ie if it just shows 1 temp probably reporting cpu, and what does your cpu temps say (not core temps) when in windows.

Last edited:
are your using a 4 pin fan, and you have installed newest control center utility from msi for your mobo? latest control center utility is from 7/20/2011. Also do you know whether your bios is reporting core temps or cpu, ie if it just shows 1 temp probably reporting cpu, and what does your cpu temps say (not core temps) when in windows.

yes the fan on the heatsink is a pwm one,i used the control center from the mobo cd tho,i will check it out and return

That cooler is basically the default Intel stock cooler, correct? I'd replace that with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

However, from the sounds of it, that motherboard not supporting CPU fan RPM control is rather depressing. I suppose you can look at larger coolers that use larger fans that more more air at a slower RPM.

it is a bit more silent and a very little bit more cfm than stock,but its stock design yes,i didn't buy a heatpipe cooler since i won't oc,thats also why i bought a h61 mobo and non-k cpu,but i guess i should have gone with a heatpipe cooler

i downloaded the latest msi control center from msi's website

it shows 38-42 for each core on monitor
in the greenpower section it says a ridiculous 124 celcius cpu temp (guess its a bug ?)

the heatsink isn't warm to the touch

yep the cpu 124C is a bug and that is your problem, since cpu temp is controlling fan speed, not core temps. CPU temps are an afterthought in bios writers, and commonly bugged. you can email support, it will eventually get fixed in a bios revision, but may take awhile.

you can like Xterra said get a heatpipe cooler and make sure to use a fan that is quiet even at max speed, otherwise your waiting on a bios fix.

yep the cpu 124C is a bug and that is your problem, since cpu temp is controlling fan speed, not core temps. CPU temps are an afterthought in bios writers, and commonly bugged. you can email support, it will eventually get fixed in a bios revision, but may take awhile.

you can like Xterra said get a heatpipe cooler and make sure to use a fan that is quiet even at max speed, otherwise your waiting on a bios fix.

just checked using coretemp as well it was 30-40 celcius,the bios is shows around 55-65 and the msi cc shows 120+

they have done 5 bios updates to that mobo already :rain:

guess i'll have to wait for a bios update,buy a new cooler,or buy a quality 92mm fan with a circle shape (idk if there are any tho)

thanks for all the help

Or you could buy a fan with its own rheostat adjustable speed control.

Back