• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU is running WAY to hot...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bushhy

Registered
So been playing some of the Battlefront beta, and decided to open up my speccy because my game was stuttering a little...

At 80% CPU usage, my CPU was at 95*C.

My setup is a H60i with two fans pushing air onto the rad. Is it seriously that bad that it cannot keep my CPU from overheating?

If so, what do you recommend that I purchase that will not cost me an arm and a leg. I have the HAF912 case, and stock fans.

My bad! Thought I had added my information.

Its an Intel i7-4790k on a MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Not sure if an H60i can handle that CPU. My guess is not.
Though, it could also be the thermal paste under the heat spreader....

When you run Battlefront, can you feel hot air coming from the fans attached to the radiator?

The Intel guys should chime in soon. They know more about the newer Intel chips than I do :)

The H60i should be doing better then that, check the mount and like SP said see if you feel warm air coming out of the radiator. You can also put the stock heatsink back on, if you have it, to see if it's any different temp wise.

Not sure if an H60i can handle that CPU. My guess is not.
Though, it could also be the thermal paste under the heat spreader....

When you run Battlefront, can you feel hot air coming from the fans attached to the radiator?

The Intel guys should chime in soon. They know more about the newer Intel chips than I do :)

The H60i should be doing better then that, check the mount and like SP said see if you feel warm air coming out of the radiator. You can also put the stock heatsink back on, if you have it, to see if it's any different temp wise.

My guess would be hot air is coming out because my whole room heats up fast when playing the game. Hot enough that I start to sweat while playing haha. And no. Its not because im trying hard :p

Still need to feel if hot air is coming out, the computer itself with gpus working will create a lot of heat; the room getting hot isn't a good indication. Like SP said you need to feel it, I know people have had pump failure on H60s prematurely.

Are you overclocked? The H60 may not perform well with the 4790k even at stock clocks, but it should do better than that. What fans are on the rad? Stock tim that came on the block or did you reapply? If so what did you use and what method did you use to apply it?

As everyone stated, give us a list of your PC components, GPUs, etc. Even provide with a couple of pictures of the side panel off so we can see whats going on in there.

In general, your H60 should be able to cool your CPU than the dangerous 95c reading. You're degrading your CPU's longevity at those numbers. Its time to break things down and figure out what the issue is here.

Also as stated already, you need to feel if there is air going through the radiator in case the fans aren't configured properly and possibly if the pump isn't working or the settings on it aren't high enough. An ambient room temp would be nice as well.

As everyone stated, give us a list of your PC components, GPUs, etc. Even provide with a couple of pictures of the side panel off so we can see whats going on in there.

In general, your H60 should be able to cool your CPU than the dangerous 95c reading. You're degrading your CPU's longevity at those numbers. Its time to break things down and figure out what the issue is here.

Also as stated already, you need to feel if there is air going through the radiator in case the fans aren't configured properly and possibly if the pump isn't working or the settings on it aren't high enough. An ambient room temp would be nice as well.

Attempted to feel the rad, but the way that I have the fans mounted, i cannot feel it. I have two fans, one on each side, pushing air onto the radiator.

Still need to feel if hot air is coming out, the computer itself with gpus working will create a lot of heat; the room getting hot isn't a good indication. Like SP said you need to feel it, I know people have had pump failure on H60s prematurely.

Are you overclocked? The H60 may not perform well with the 4790k even at stock clocks, but it should do better than that. What fans are on the rad? Stock tim that came on the block or did you reapply? If so what did you use and what method did you use to apply it?

Unless somehow my board or CPU came overclocked, i do not believe I would be. What should my core voltage be? CPU-Z says its around .800, then will randomly jump over 1.1, then back down to around .800.

Says my "Core Speed" is 4400MHz. Guessing thats 4.4GHz and stock is 4.0? I never touched anything though?

Yes that would be stock clock of 4.0GHz and 4.4GHz turbo.

You just stated your problem on the previous post, you have both fans blowing air onto the radiator, that is a big no-no. You want one fan pushing air thru the rad preferably cooler air from outside the case, and you want one fan pulling air.

Like this...
600x300px-LL-ead78a73_Push-pull-image.png

Go ahead and switch the fans around and do some stress testing and let us know what happens.

You just stated your problem on the previous post, you have both fans blowing air onto the radiator, that is a big no-no. You want one fan pushing air thru the rad preferably cooler air from outside the case, and you want one fan pulling air.

Like this...
View attachment 169823

Go ahead and switch the fans around and do some stress testing and let us know what happens.
+1

Like this...
View attachment 169823

yBb1nSR.png

So you made sure the fans are like the diagram above and you still get that hot?

Can you feel the air from the fans now that we know they are pushing air the correct way? Should feel warm to hot air.
That's the best way to confirm the cooler is in fact doing it's job.

Nope. Air isnt hot.

Are you able to show us some images of your setup?

The grill on the fan is usually the exhaust side of it where the open part is intake.

Also, have you gone into the BIOS or OS software to see what the settings of the pump or any readings coming from it? Assuming you have the pump connected via CPU Fan Header. You should feel the tubing of the AIO and the pump top and see if they are warm or presumably very hot. Also, some vibration from the pump top at least tells you it could be working.

Back