• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU OC Suddenly Resets?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

despairzor

I've had my E8400 OC'd to 4GHz for about two weeks now without any problems. But now, just out of no where, my CPU always resets itself back to the stock GHz. More specifically, when I go to my BIOS settings, I see that the "CPU Host Clock Control" is set to "Disabled", which makes my "CPU Frequency" go back to the stock 3.0GHz. If I try to OC my CPU again set my "CPU Host Clock Control" to Enabled, after I save the settings and reboot my computer, about 5 seconds after the computer starting up, the computer reboots itself and changes my "CPU Host Clock Control" back to disabled, setting my "CPU Frequency" back to 3.0GHz. (I also had EIST and C1E disabled from the start, so that's not the problem.) I have no idea why this is happening, I did not do anything prior to cause this problem. It just came out of the blue.

Image_01T.jpg

Here is an image of what my BIOS layout looks like just for reference.
* The settings in this picture isn't the actual settings in my BIOS

try changing one setting at a time... it know it sounds wierd but my last two boards had this weird quirk. another thing to check, depending on how old the board is, is the cmos battery. also if you used high voltages before this started happening. it is possible the die is damaged from high voltages being used for a long period of time.

Back