• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Overclock advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liquidforce22

I have a hard time figuring out why my computer randomly shuts down, this happened after I have configured my Overclock ratio from 3.1 too 4.0 is my overclock to high or is it the temp and or watts?

System Specs using DirectX Diagnostic Tool

Operating System- Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, build 9200)
Language: English
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd.
System Model: GA-78LMT-usb3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor- Eight CPUs 3.1GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Page File: 1516MB used, 1921MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Display Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7850
Manufacture: advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Total Memory: 4095MB
Power Supply: 600WT Thermaltake

Case Make: AZZA

Fans: 6 L.E.D
3 Azza
3 Anteck

Factory CPU Fan.

Would like too Overclock the CPU. Please Help :)

Your motherboard's power phase components are by far inadequate to run an FX-8120 in overclocked fashion. It will likely do okay at stock frequencies and voltages, however as long as the CPU you are using is on the manufacturer's supported CPU list.

Two things right off the bat your mobo probably won't support an OC like that and certainly not with the stock H/S and fan. These chips use a lot of power that your board may not be able to handle since the power section has no heat sinks. They also put out a ton of heat that the stock cooler can handle at stock settings. If you plan on OC'ing you will definitely need a better cooler.
Download HW monitor (non pro) prime95 and CPUz. Put everything back to default and run P95 while HWmonitor is open.
Using the windows snipping tool post a clip of HWmonitor while P95 is running. This will give us an idea of your temps and voltages, also post clips of CPUz memory tab and spd tab so we can have a look at your ram settings.

Your motherboard's power phase components are by far inadequate to run an FX-8120 in overclocked fashion. It will likely do okay at stock frequencies and voltages, however as long as the CPU you are using is on the manufacturer's supported CPU list.

What Motherboard do I need, that will work perfect for the parts I do have?

Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
Ausu Sabertooth 990fx
Gigabyte UD3/5/7
Asrock Fatl1dy 990fx Pro
Asus M5A99FX/X for mild overclocks.

It's amazing how motherboard manufacturers mislead people.Yes,it supports fx cpu's,but running a power hungry 8 core fx chip,on a micro board, is on the verge of false advertizing.I don't trust any vendor about there claims.Always better to research,ask questions,and see how this mobo performs in the real world.

Last edited:
It amazing how motherboard manufacturers mislead people.Yes,it supports fx cpu's,but running a power hungry 8 core fx chip,on a micro board, is on the verge of false advertizing.
Well most of them that are approved will run the FX's at stock speeds, though I wouldn't use them, most of the issues that occur happen when they are pushed.

It's amazing how motherboard manufacturers mislead people.Yes,it supports fx cpu's,but running a power hungry 8 core fx chip,on a micro board, is on the verge of false advertizing.I don't trust any vendor about there claims.Always better to research,ask questions,and see how this mobo performs in the real world.

I tend to agree but as Mandrake said, most of them will do okay with the big gun FX CPUs as long as you don't try to overclock. What I would like to see the motherboard manufacturers do is be more straightforward about that and add some footnotes to the CPU compatibility charts for those high end CPU that says something like, *Not recommended for overclocking with this motherboard.

But does any motherboard manufacturer advertise their boards to overclock? I don't think any official literature mentions overclocking.
RGone...

This is from Msi.com and it's my first of 2 msi boards that went snap crackle pop.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    24.4 KB · Views: 100
Heck "Drake" I did not even include MSI AMD motherboards in the searching I just did. I guess I did not even consider them in the contest. Hehehe.

Okay above in my post #12 I made a sort of open-ended statement. The type of statement that brings everything out of the woodwork to disprove that open-ended statement. So I did a canvas of the three major brands of AMD motherboard we see regularly in this AMD CPU Forum section.

This is a round-up of what the Asus, Asrock and Gigabyte websites have to say about the up front advertising of the motherboards as reflects the actual word "overclock" or "overclocking".

Pretty doggone accurate on the surface until you get to the "Suites" for use in Windows. Not including the one "Drake" posted above for MSI which I actually did not look at their website.

Asus CHV and CHV-z shows the word overclock in the CHV only and not even with the Sabertooth 990FX do they mention the word overclock in the motherboard advertising.
ROG Connect
Plug and Overclock - Tweak it the hardcore way!
Monitor the status of your desktop PC and tweak its parameters in real-time via a notebook—just like a race car engineer—with ROG Connect. ROG Connect links your main system to a notebook through a USB cable, allowing you to view real-time POST code and hardware status readouts on your notebook, as well as make on-the-fly parameter adjustments at a purely hardware level.

BIOS Print
One click, easily share your BIOS settings
ROG offers a whole new EFI BIOS feature to handle the demands of an overclocking experience. Crosshair V Formula-Z features ROG BIOS Print which allows users to easily share their BIOS settings to others with the press of a button. The days of using a camera to take BIOS screenshot are over.

"Suites" >> With its user-friendly interface, ASUS AI Suite II consolidates all exclusive ASUS features into one simple-to-use package. It allows users to supervise overclocking, energy management, fan speed, voltage and sensor readings. This all-in-one software offers diverse and easy to use functions, with no need to switch back and forth between different utilities.

Asrock only shows the word overclock in their motherboard advertising for two AMD AM3+ motherboards.
The Fatal1ty Series motherboard is designed with a V12+2 Power Phase, featuring sturdy components and completely smooth power delivery to the CPU. The Fatal1ty Series offers unmatched overclocking capability and enhanced performance with the lowest temperatures for PC gaming enthusiasts.

990FX Extreme9
This motherboard is designed with a 12 + 2 Power Phase design. It features sturdy components and completely smooth power delivery to the CPU. Plus, it offers unmatched overclocking capability and enhanced performance with the lowest temperature for advanced gamers as well.

Asrock Software:
"Suites" >> AXTU - The All-in-1 Tuning Software
ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility (AXTU) is an all-in-one software to fine-tune different features in an user-friendly interface, which includes Hardware Monitor, Fan Control, Overclocking, OC DNA and IES. In Hardware Monitor, it shows the major readings of your system. In Fan Control, it shows the fan speed and temperature for you to adjust. In Overclocking, you are allowed to adjust the CPU frequency, ratio and some voltages for optimal system performance. In OC DNA, you can save your OC settings as a profile and share with your friends. Your friends then can load the OC profile to their own system to get the same OC settings. In IES (Intelligent Energy Saver), the voltage regulator can reduce the number of output phases to improve efficiency when the CPU cores are idle without sacrificing computing performance.

Gigabyte motherboard advertising showed no evidence of the word "overclock" in their advertising.

Gigabyte Software says
"Suite" >> EasyTune6
GIGABYTE has completely redesigned EasyTune6 from the ground up to make it easier than ever to manage and monitor your hardware resources as well as tweak your system settings in order to achieve maximum system performance. Whether you are an overclocking enthusiast, or a computer novice, EasyTune6 provides the tools you need to quickly and effortlessly fine tune your system.

So Asus and Asrock both speak about overclocking their boards in a manner I would certainly catagorize as advertising "overclocking". But they seem to do so on their boards that we know are quite capable FX processor overclockers.

Gigabyte does not seem to hype any of their boards as overclockable in the normal way we read advertising.

However when you look at the claims for either of those three motherboard manufacturers, you will find the word overclocking included in their description of their "Suites". Again I did not search the MSI mobo website.

I am beginning to hate being the "Mobo Police" and having to specify to the majority of newbs that the board they purchased is far from fully powerful enough to overclock many FX series processors. When you factor in that the cpu coolers they are using are far from adequete to handle a very overclocked FX processor and that their cases are far from up to snuff for heat removal...well the entire experience seems considerably negative from the beginning. Even if everything we report is at least 97% the actual reality of the situation.

There is a huge difference between running an FX processor as designed and suddenly turning off all the safeguards that AMD put into the FX series of processors to keep them from being so power-hungry and H0T. It would seem after a year and a half that the message would be out.
RGone...

Rgone I wouldn't include MSI in an advised board either, though I would like to see if they have rectified the VRM issues they were having and how well their GD55/65 or 80 would hold up now. You did ask though. :) That pic was from a 970a-g45 which was my first board for my 955be. Which couldn't even handle that chip at 3.8, smoke coming out of your pc is fun fun fun! I RMA'd it and received another which also went snap crackle pop, RMA part DUEX resulted in a sale on Ebay and a purchase of the M5A99X Evo which was much better with the 955, 4.3 2 hours primed :thup:. I could only imagine if I tried putting the Piledriver on the 970a G45 which has the 83xx on it's support list. Behind curtain #2 we have a pc with melted goo as a motherboard!

Back