• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock in a "non overclock mobo"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wutthy

Hi guys, so... I have a ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3 (MAX 125W PROCESSOR) with a FX 8300 (3.3ghz/95TDP) and googling about overclock with this mobo and processor, I see that's not a good idea because of the vrms and these things, so I bought heatsinks and a cooler to cool the mosfets. The mobo don't have a sensor to monitor the vrm's temperature, but I didn't see a clock drop after the heatsinks on the vrms when I was playing or streesing with the cpuz. The overclock that i'm doing not is 100% stable, but, my focus is the CSGO and with this voltage and clock, the system is stable, but when I try to play dayz or pubg, the pc turn off after a few minutes (I thing that's because I need to increase the voltage on theses games, but I just reduce the clock), buut, like I said, my focus is the csgo and the system is pretty stable with these configs when I play him. The only thing that I need to know is: i'm gonna have a issue using it with 4.4ghz and 1.475 voltage or, if it's stable - no drops of clock, I think that means that the vrms is not overheating, or its better use the normal settings? (OBS: I overclock the bus speed, CPU/NB and the HyperTransport as you can see in the print)

Picture of the overclock settings in AMD OVERDRIVE <3:

You're right, that motherboard really isn't suited to an 8-core FX CPU. Personlly I think you're already pushing it too far that's why it crashes in PUBG. wHEN OVERCLOCKING YOU NEED TO MONITOR THE TEMPS while the CPU is stressed playing CSGO isn't a good measure for stability. You also only want to overclock one thing at a time until you're certain it's stable.
You assume that because it's not dropping clock speed that the VRM are OK, that isn't necessarily true. Putting almost 1.5V through them is definately going to make them hot since there aren't enough of them to spread the load.
Not sure how CSGO utilizes the CPU but you might be better off disabling half the CPU and trying to run it at a faster speed.

You're right, that motherboard really isn't suited to an 8-core FX CPU. Personlly I think you're already pushing it too far that's why it crashes in PUBG. wHEN OVERCLOCKING YOU NEED TO MONITOR THE TEMPS while the CPU is stressed playing CSGO isn't a good measure for stability. You also only want to overclock one thing at a time until you're certain it's stable.
You assume that because it's not dropping clock speed that the VRM are OK, that isn't necessarily true. Putting almost 1.5V through them is definately going to make them hot since there aren't enough of them to spread the load.
Not sure how CSGO utilizes the CPU but you might be better off disabling half the CPU and trying to run it at a faster speed.

so, even with a cooler and a heatsink in the vrms, do you think that im pushing very hard? I saw a video in youtube that a guy stressed her fx8350 (125w, 30watts more than fx8300) in the same mobo before put the heatsink in the vrms - the clock drops - and after put the heatsinks, the clock drops don't happened again
VIDEO:

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

i'm using 1.475 of voltage, I think if I put 1.5, it gonna be ok with the stability in the other games, But I don't wanna do that because i just play csgo lately and for now the system is very stable, 0 problems after put these settings

I'm not saying it won't work, I am saying that's a lot of stress for those VRM to cope with on an ongoing basis. Eventually, there's a high likely hood that one of them will burn up and possibly take your CPU with it. What I was saying is that you need to do some better monitoring under load and cut the core count in half. It'll allow you to run faster and less draw for the VRM. The higher speed will also likely increase your performance in CSGO

I'm not saying it won't work, I am saying that's a lot of stress for those VRM to cope with on an ongoing basis. Eventually, there's a high likely hood that one of them will burn up and possibly take your CPU with it. What I was saying is that you need to do some better monitoring under load and cut the core count in half. It'll allow you to run faster and less draw for the VRM. The higher speed will also likely increase your performance in CSGO

ooh, ok... so, how do I do that? how disable them? on msconfig? just 4 cores?

i'm using 1.475 of voltage, I think if I put 1.5, it gonna be ok with the stability in the other games, But I don't wanna do that because i just play csgo lately and for now the system is very stable, 0 problems after put these settings
Reason why you need that much voltage is because the board doesn't have the "guts" Vrm section to feed the chip clean power. You're already at it's limits at 1.475 I highly doubt you giving it 1.5 v is getting it stable. The Vrm is unstable because it's working harder then it's made for, over heating and causing instability. Giving it move voltage is only going to make it worse. I've seem many Fx 8xxx chips come through here as well as Johan45. Most do not need that much voltage to run at 4.4, I have a Fx 8350 that is pretty demanding voltage wise and I only need 1.46 for 4.7 24/7 stable for nearly 7 years, it was on a strong board that is why I only needed 1.46 v.

ok guys, so, I disabled these cores, so, now I can increase a little bit the clock using less voltage, or the voltage "method" still the same?

Back