• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Overclock vs GPU Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fugu

I did some benchmarking tonight to see if Overclocking your CPU will help the GPU's performance as well. Following Rgone's "flatline 8350" thread I decided to test lower overclocks using an AMD 8350 and an Asus Direct CUii 7970 3gb GPU.

Here's what I was up to!

The Platform is:

Asus M5a99x Evo Motherboard
AMD 8350Fx 8-Core with a Noctua NF-P12 fan pushing air through a Thermalright 120 Ultra
Ram is Corsair Vengeance LP

20130128_192135.jpg

Benchmarking was done using Default settings for "Performance" in 3dmark11 and GPU Tweak settings were kept constant for all 3 benchmarks and each benchmark was run at 4.0Ghz , 4.2Ghz and 4.4ghz respectively.

40ghzGraphicsvsCPUtest.png

42ghzGraphicsvsCPUtest.png

44ghzGraphicsvsCPUtest.png

Gpu Performance doesn't look at all to be directly influenced by low to mild Overclocks at all with the 4.0ghz Overclock and the 4.4ghz Overclock posting almost Identical Graphics scores overall.
I'm guessing this is nothing new to the experienced Overclockers but it's good for me or new less experienced overclockers to look at and see how mild overclocks tend to score in a GPU and CPU benchmark and any relativities they may or may not have.

Cpu performance gains were great! With the Physics test (CPU only) and Combined test (both GPU and CPU) showing a good continuous inclination in performance.

I'm very tempted to try the same tests running both a Gigabyte 7970 and Asus 7970 in Crossfire to see if increasing the GPU loads dramatically will show any changes based on CPU clock.

I'm running 2 more benchmarks with GPU tweak set to one of my Overclocked profiles and re running the 4.0ghz and 4.4ghz Benchmarks.

Here are the results from running 2 of the 3 tests with a Higher GPU overclock combined with the 4.0 and 4.4 overclocks.

40ghzGraphicsvsCPUtest2.png
44ghzGraphicsvsCPUtest2.png

I'm wondering if someone could extrapolate from this and use Rgone's Chart to determine what a possible benchmark would be for the CPU at the 5.0ghz range with this GPU.. (Using percentags and then applying them to the average performance inclination for my results.

And i'll toss in a picture of my Battlestation!

20130128_191958.jpg

Last edited:
Just the times...

Man I don't think you did anything wrong. This is the first of the year and people are on and off again with situations like your own, when the past weekend was your only major appearance in some days.

I did as you asked and tried to do a predictor of your 3Dmark11 major score on out to 5.0Ghz based on what data was seen in your 3 scores. The chart is below.
RGone...

3Dmark11 chart.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Rgone! It looks like i'd definitely need water cooling to hit a P10000 score on a single GPU with 3dmark11.

Have you had some time to play with 3dmark11 at all? It's mainly a GPU benching measuring contest bit of software in my opinion but it's great having a huge wealth of stored scores to see what combinations of hardware have been proven!

I just wrapped up my first online race of the current season and finished in 1st! Used my top overclock settings and didn't see a drop in frames for the entirety of the 30minute race. Was very nice having that peace of mind.

Sorry man, I have had absolutely no time the last couple of days. Been cleaning a computer that has not been touched inside or outside or crap on the drive in over 4 years and trying to get it to go to a Cspire MiFi. Crap and more crap. Hehehe.

I will look at 3Dmark11 though in a few days. I can say this though with 99.9% assurance though; if you increase cpu speed the video benches will increase. Is the often minimal increase worth the hassle? Often it is not. If "I" wanted big video scores, I would have a BEEG video card. Hehehe. Hands down winner.

Fugu said:
I just wrapped up my first online race of the current season and finished in 1st! Used my top overclock settings and didn't see a drop in frames for the entirety of the 30minute race. Was very nice having that peace of mind.

GREAT news man. I do imagine your mind was put at rest concerning your system.

Congratulations on First Race Win !!!

Back