• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Overclocked to 3.8ghz from 3.5ghz - Computer Wouldn't Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chibigoat

So I've recently overclocked my AMD Phenom II x6 1055T to 3.5ghz from 2.8 and it's been perfectly fine, ran a three hours test at max usage and the max the temp got to was 43C, so it's good with 3.5ghz, but I tried to bring it up to 3.8 saved, continued to boot it and a quick blue screen flashed and it brought me back to the bios start so I changed it back to 3.5ghz, not wanting to break my computer.

What would be the reasoning for it not wanting to go to 3.8ghz? Is there a big difference between 3.5 and 3.8? I'm brand new to cpu overclocking btw.

Or, was that just a normal thing and it would have booted? I didn't want to take the chance.

Would it be the voltage? I've read plenty that says don't touch the voltage, but I recently read that a guy overclocked his cpu (same as mine) to 3.8ghz and he raised his voltage to 1.4 from 1.35. Like I said, I'm brand new so I want to be careful.

Last edited:
Yes, it is a big difference to go from 3.5 ghz to 3.8. You probably need more core voltage but you also may need to reduce your ram frequency and your NB and HT Link frequency. Those three frequencies are tuned to the CPU frequency when you overclock the FSB like you have to when overclocking a 1055T because it is not a black edition CPU and the CPU core speed multiplier is fixed in the upward direction. If the ram frequency, the HT Link frequency or the NB frequency get too high they will make the system unstable.

If you will download and install CPU-z and attach pics of these tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" we will show you about that relationship between those frequencies. Crop and save the images with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip icon and the rest will be obvious.

Below is what a good rendition of what 'trents' suggests would look like in the real world.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much. Of course beginning with a setting that is 'known' to pass P95 Blend mode makes good sense, because a failed P95 Blend test is not going to give a baseline of a configuration that 'does' work.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Don't know if you have enough posts to make signature showing what we are dealing with or not. Try it and see. Helps to know exactly what is inside that case.

My how to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information
following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are
trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature
as a good template of needed information Thank you.

Back