• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED CPU temp goes up to 80c, fans don't increase RPMs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inkadu

My fans don't seem to be responding to an increase in temperature. On a small FFT test on Prime95 (not overclocked), my CPU and System temps shot up to over 80c in about five seconds while my fan speeds didn't change.

Here's CPUID Hardware Monitor's report on idle:

Hardware monitor Winbond W83667HG
Voltage 0 1.25 Volts [0x9C] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 1.74 Volts [0xDA] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 3.42 Volts [0xD6] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 5.14 Volts [0xD6] (+5V)
Voltage 4 11.77 Volts [0xD3] (+12V)
Voltage 6 0.56 Volts [0x46] (VIN6)
Temperature 0 56°C (132°F) [0x38] (SYSTIN)
Temperature 1 57°C (133°F) [0x71] (CPUTIN)
Temperature 2 53°C (126°F) [0x69] (AUXTIN)
Fan 0 1767 RPM [0xBF] (SYSFANIN)
Fan 1 1962 RPM [0x2B] (CPUFANIN0)
Fan 3 1500 RPM [0xE1] (AUXFANIN1)

And under load:

Hardware monitor Winbond W83667HG
Voltage 0 1.26 Volts [0x9D] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 1.74 Volts [0xDA] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 3.42 Volts [0xD6] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 5.14 Volts [0xD6] (+5V)
Voltage 4 11.77 Volts [0xD3] (+12V)
Voltage 6 0.53 Volts [0x42] (VIN6)
Temperature 0 81°C (177°F) [0x51] (SYSTIN)
Temperature 1 82°C (178°F) [0xA3] (CPUTIN)
Temperature 2 56°C (131°F) [0x6F] (AUXTIN)
Fan 0 0 RPM [0x0] (SYSFANIN)
Fan 1 2009 RPM [0x2A] (CPUFANIN0)
Fan 3 168750 RPM [0x1] (AUXFANIN1)

You may notice the readings for SYSFANIN and AUXFANIN1 are a little funky. SYSFANIN bounces between 0, ~888 to the max of 168750. AUXFAN does the same thing. It doesn't seem to be affected by the stress test -- it just flips through 0, max readout, and a normal RPM. I'm not sure what that means, but it's something I'd like explained. CPUFAN doesn't move much at all, but it's a stable reading.

Any advice on what steps to take next?

[Oh, and one wrinkle: I ran these tests on Windows XP (32 bit). A few weeks ago I ran it on Windows7 and remember the CPUFAN speed going up, but having no impact on CPUTemp.]

Thanks!

System:

CPU INTEL|CORE I5 750 2.66G R
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler
MOBO: MB ASUS P7P55D EVO P55 LGA1156 R
PSU: PSU ROSEWILL| 700W RV2-700 RT
VGA: ASUS|ENGTS450 DIRECTCU/DI/1GD5 (NVIDIA GTS450) x 2 (SLI)
MEM: 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-16000CL9D-4GBPIS x 2 (8G total)

Have you enabled a fan profile by using either Q-Fan from within the BIOS or the Fan Xpert software in Windows?

Yeah. QFan (standard profile) is enabled in the Bios and has a mention in task manager; I also tried the mobo's "fanxpert" (which seems to do the same thing as qfan). Same results: higher temps, but same fan speeds.

I notice that the max for the cpu fan is close to what it's almost always at. Maybe it's just horrifically inefficient? It came with it's own thermal paste applied; I'm starting to think I might need to scrape that off and start again...

The fan speeds reported are stable in the mobo's app; are the fluctuating readings in HWMonitor just noise, or is something else going on?

EDIT: My fan speed is ~1900; system says the max is 1962; the newegg page for my fan says the max RPM is 2500. What might be going on there?

Last edited:
FYI - Fan profile is set to max out at 100% (the incorrect (?) max of 1962) at 62 degrees.

I also found this link indicating it might be a problem of connectors -- but I'm guessing that's only a problem with Dell motherboards (I'm using ASUS).

I think you're right... and I might actually be getting those 2200 RPM. HWMonitor lists CPUFANIN at 2009RPM. Speedfan puts "CPU0 Fan" at 2009 RPM, so that's probably the same sensor they are looking at.

But speed fan also says "CPU: 2200""; configuration file says that the core 0-3 fans are at address $290, same as "CPU" fan... so I'm not sure what's going on with the sensors. But these temps seem a little hot (right?) for an aftermarket fan that's almost at full capacity under almost zero load...

So I'm guessing it's a bad application of thermal compound and, unless you can think of anything else I should do, cleaning/reapplying compound is my next step.

Thanks for your help!

Probably a combination of the way the TIM was applied, and the HSF not sitting squarely on the heatspreader. Before you remove the HSF check to see if it's parallel w/ the top of the heatspreader. Also check the Vcore as shown by CPU-Z at idle and while running Prime. It should be between ~1.15 and 1.20V or lower at the default clock and under 100% load.

Last edited:
I just can't believe you're running a Freezer Pro 7, they really weren't designed for the temps that modern CPU's put out. You'd be much better off running a Coolermaster Hyer 212 EVO or something better.

I figured it out. Q-Fan control isn't working properly. I shut it off, and the fan revved up to full speed. I can file my nails with it (now I have an idea what 2200 RPM is supposed to feel like). Now temp is 40 idle - 70 under load; not great, but good enough for Fallout 3 on (half) an i5.

Probably would have figured it out with the molex-4 pin connector, too, but I would have had to wait for that in the mail. Thanks for your help!

I just can't believe you're running a Freezer Pro 7, they really weren't designed for the temps that modern CPU's put out. You'd be much better off running a Coolermaster Hyer 212 EVO or something better.

Yeah, I'm not really impressed with it at the moment. I knew the stock coolers were close to useless, so I just threw something on the shopping cart that would be a little better. I'll probably upgrade in a few years when I start buying games that came out in 2010.

If QFan's not working, have you tried updating the mainboards firmware? QFan works wonders when actually working. Might I suggest replacing your heatsink and fan as the Freezer 7 Pro really does suck (I've owned a few myself).

Combining the heatsink from the Coolermaster 212 EVO with a decent airflow fan will make a massive difference. I'm replacing the two fans on my Corsair H100 with these though in your case I'd only consider it if you can get QFan working else they'll be unbearably loud: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140567023940?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The firmware is the most current. I'll have to do some snooping to find out what might be happening with q-fan. I think I can use speedfan to control the fan; asus also has a bit of software to do it -- though it might depend on qfan working. It is just a tad louder than I'd like right now.

I am adding a a decent case fan soon; that might bring it down a little bit. But like I said, I'm not really pushing my system too much right now. It's fun to tinker, though, and I could start using bits and pieces now for a better system down the road. So after I've got some fan controls, I might look into the coolermaster. What are your temperature targets for your system?

Criminey! 60 DBA? Can't do it. It would be like living next to a runway.

Yeah, but thats only when running flat out pushing 253CFM, which it never ever would be. Running its min 1550RPMs pushing 71CFM its at a much more acceptable 18dBa. That's why PWM control is so important with these monsters. 70CFM is where most fans top out these days, it's where this beast starts. If the CPU stays at a lower temp because of this it will ramp up less often so it ends up quieter in the end.

Back