• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Water Blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantomofnight

So, I'm getting back into things after like, 5 years. Or more. So, back in the day Koolance was the way to go with CPU blocks. Seems like they have gotten out of this game. Since my go to for water blocks doesn't make them any more, what do you in the community recommend as far as the new "standard" for CPU blocks? Thank you for your time and help!

EDIT 1:
So, I was looking at the wrong parts supplier. Seems like Koolance is indeed still in the game, and I'm just an idiot. However, are they still the standard, or should I look at something like a Heatkiller?

Last edited:
A lot of great companies and water cooling stuff out there

I have been using EK exclusively for the last 10 years or so

Classic looks not over the top. Most importantly great performance & availability

EK, Watercool, XSPC, Koolance are still very much in the game in cpu blocks etc... I'm still rocking my Koolance 380i from 7 years ago and it doesn't get much better than this, i had EK before and also lasted me many years...
There are also some newer brands with good cpu/gpu blocks, like Bitspower and Alphacool.

Go with something you like, and have a reasonable price to performance from any of these brands and you can't go wrong, remember to check for socket specific mounting hardware...

I've been using various versions of Swiftech CPU water blocks for ~15 years. They perform well enough & have been usually reasonably priced.

Thanks for the input everyone! This is why I love this community. I think I'll stick with Koolance, but I'll shop around and keep an open mind.

I don't think it makes a huge difference at this point. Maybe a couple degrees here or there. Go for whatever has the best price and or appearance depending on your priorities.

I don't think it makes a huge difference at this point. Maybe a couple degrees here or there. Go for whatever has the best price and or appearance depending on your priorities.

That's what I was figuring and kind of going with. I appreciate your input!

Water blocks seriously need revamping for one thing they up until AMDs Threadripper size came on the scene it's been like one size fits all.

To a certain extent that sucks because AMD was inherently a larger sized CPU than Intel, but water blocks were sized for AMD as one size fits all by just changing out the mounting and Wallah you have an Intel water block, that's literally twice the size needed for the actual Intel CPU, like the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th generation Intel CPUs.

IMO, there's no other reasoning besides one size fits all to end up with a CPU water block that the base is actually larger than the entire CPU socket retention mechanism.

For my 8700K I actually modified an old Danger Den water block to actually fit the CPUs actual Heat Spreader, I also shaved off about a 32nd of the copper off the bottom and it cools better now than my EK Supremacy EVO does!

Some of these monstrous sized water blocks like the EK Supremacy EVO are barely clearing the socket CPU hold down retention plate with the newer generation Intel CPUs, but probably no one else has noticed this.

I wish Danger Den was back in business or at least some company that if they claimed it was an Intel water block, would actually fit the Intel CPU Heat Spreader.

Back