• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu-z disagrees with windows and aida

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bwanaaa

on my cpu speed. how could this be?
I have a q6600 running at 8 x 400 set in the bios.
CPU z reports this correctly.
The system control panel as well as the system information app
(Start Menu->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information
) both report
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2128 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Where are they getting 2128 MHz from? This is the EXPECTED speed from an FSB set to 266. They should say 3200. Is this a known bug?

I also ran aida64 and it correctly reports my cpu as 3200 MHz. But lower down in the cpu panel (cpu physical info) it has little yellow triangles (warning?) at these lines
Core Voltage 1.262 V
I/O Voltage 1.262 V
Typical Power 130 W

This cpu is rated to 1.5 v and cpu-z says I am at 1.398. This is at idle so i dont know why the voltage is reported low (no reason for vdroop at idle)

The Windows 7 system information is notoriously inaccurate when it comes to clock speeds, and any such information should be taken with a grain of salt. I remember that XP would report the actual speed when overclocked. Not sure about Vista, and I'm not sure what OS you're running.

tnx for ur help. it seems this is not an uncommon finding....even in the latest version of windows 7. maybe they'll fix it in windows 8...

They can't fix that. The CPU says it's name is "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz". That's what Windows displays, the name string, as the CPU tells Windows.

Many years ago, I had an Athlon XP 1800 (1.53GHz stock), and when I overclocked it a little, Windows XP said it was an Athlon XP 2000! Overclock a little more, and Windows said it was a 2100, with the corresponding clock frequency changes.

Back