• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU-z Memory explanation for dummies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shizzler

Hi all,
I recently bought a new desktop, and am trying to understand if it's put together OK.
The memory I bought is a Corsair 4GB 1600MHz DDR3

Can someone please help me understand if my memory is really running at 1600 MHz from these CPU-z screenshots?

Thanks!!

CPU-z1.jpg

CPU-z2.jpg

CPU-z3.jpg

The Memory tab shows your current "actual" RAM speed. Then, taking DDR (Double Data Rate) into account you get 2 x 798.3MHz = 1596.6MHz as your current "effective" RAM speed. So, your RAM is running at the correct speed.

The Memory tab shows your current "actual" RAM speed. Then, taking DDR (Double Data Rate) into account you get 2 x 798.3MHz = 1596.6MHz as your current "effective" RAM speed. So, your RAM is running at the correct speed.

Excellent! Thanks!
If not too much to ask - What do the different frequencies in the second screenshot mean (JEDEC #2, JEDEC #3, JEDEC #4, XMP-1600)?

THANKS!!

Those are all the speed and timing profiles that the RAM has been tested to run at. They aren't currently running frequencies. JEDEC creates standards, and the RAM chips have to meet those standards at least. The XMP profile has also been tested, but by the RAM manufacturer (Corsair in this case).

Mattno5ss covered it well. In addition, the profiles listed on that tab will explain the timings the ram runs at when you set it for a certain frequency.

Back