• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU_Fan error on boot with new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eco_bach

On a new build repeatedly get a CPU_FAN error on boot, forcing me to go into BIOS and adjust fan settings.
All my fans are running at 100%. The LED indicator on the mobo reads A2 which is not an error message.

I am able to successfully modify my fan settings in UEFI-BIOS but when I reboot the same error happens again!

My mobo is a ASUS X99-A2

I am using 4 different 4pin fan headers on the mobo

PUMP- going directly to the pump connector on my Swiftech H240X2 WC

CPU_FAN - this is going to a 4 pin fan hub on my Enthoo Luxe case
This fan hub also receives 12v power and in turn connects 4 other 3pin fans

CPU_OPT- going to another fan hub connector for my Swiftech H240X2 WC
This fan hub also receives 12 volt power and powers 2 3 pin LED connectors and 2 4 pin case fans.

CHA_FAN- going to 1 additional case fan

I would not run a fan hub off the CPU_FAN header. Try using another chassis fan header. If the CPU fan is not going to be directly connected to the CPU_FAN header, then don't use it at all and select the "ignore" setting in the BIOS.

I would not run a fan hub off the CPU_FAN header. Try using another chassis fan header. If the CPU fan is not going to be directly connected to the CPU_FAN header, then don't use it at all and select the "ignore" setting in the BIOS.

Thanks.
Was just following the Phanteks manual literally

"...For full PWM functionality, Phanteks' PWM hub requires users to connect the 4-pin connector to the "CPU_Fan" connector of the motherboard, because all motherboard manufacturers implement a PWM signal modulation on this connector."

If I leave everything connected as is, but choose 'ignore' for CPU_FAN in BIOS, does this mean there will be no PWM signal for CPU_FAN?

Thanks.
Was just following the Phanteks manual literally

"...For full PWM functionality, Phanteks' PWM hub requires users to connect the 4-pin connector to the "CPU_Fan" connector of the motherboard, because all motherboard manufacturers implement a PWM signal modulation on this connector."

all 4 pin connectors on your ASus X99-A2 support PWM. why phanteks would advice this is beyond me.

What I tried

- switching CPU_OPT and CPU_FAN
- unplugging CPU_OPT
--unplugging CPU_FAN

In each case the boot process goes normally...the fans are normal speed, then the speed ramps to 100% and I get the error screen.

The attached pics show the error screen and the connectors with only the pump connected

cpu_fan_error1.jpg cpu_fan_error2.jpg
I can see no option in BIOS to ignore CPU_FAN entirely.

Stumped as to what to try next...

Thanks

Where in the BIOS is there the control for CPU_OPT?

I see CPU_FAN, both chassis fan headers, pump, but no CPU_OPT.

Is CPU_OPT the same as CPU_FAN as far as the BIOS is concerned?

The Luxe uses the pwm header for speed control. It gets voltage from a SATA connector, I believe. I can pull the panel and double check if needed.

just select ignore in the bios, this tells the board you know you have nothing plugged into it so stop telling me about it.
on my x99aII I just hooked my pump to the cpu_fan header.

just select ignore in the bios, this tells the board you know you have nothing plugged into it so stop telling me about it.
on my x99aII I just hooked my pump to the cpu_fan header.

I ended up plugging the 4 pin from the fan hub from my Swiftech H204x2 WC to CPU_FAN.

And my Phanteks fan hub into CHA_FAN1.

And in BIOS set both to PWM.

Curious how the Phanteks fan hub actually works with a PWM signal, since the fans connecting to it are 3 pin

Three pin fans cannot be speed controlled from a PWM 4 pin header. You would need to control them with some kind of digital or analog voltage adjuster.

Three pin fans cannot be speed controlled from a PWM 4 pin header. You would need to control them with some kind of digital or analog voltage adjuster.
The asus x99-a II, like many modern boards, allows for both PWM and DC/voltage control on their headers.

4-pin PWM/DC fan support with Auto Detection
Every onboard header supports auto detection of PWM or DC fans.

I'm betting, since its a hub, it isnt sending proper rpm signals back so the motherboard cant acknowledge its there. Id disable monitorinr for it as suggested earlier in the other thread.

Last edited:
Case fan RPM determined by GPU temps

My mobo is an ASUS X99-A2
I've searched the manual and spent a LOT of time in the BIOS but have yet to figure out a way to ramp my case fan speeds according to my GPU temps.

Since I do a lot of GPU rendering, this is important and surprised this doesn't seem to be a feature.

Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this?

I'm on Linux (Ubuntu)

No need for yet another fan thread.... merged.

It likely isnt possible. Motherboards can only read from the motherboard. If the dropdown doesnt give you the option, there isnt one.

CPU_FAN is for the pump when water cooling. You can control the chassis fans from the other headers not marked CPU, CPU_OPT, Pump, or anything not marked CPU anything. Headers marked "Chassis" can usually be set on a curve to control case fans based on CPU temp but it will be a manual setting. The motherboards I've dealt with don't automatically tie them together or cross reference them.

The asus x99-a II, like many modern boards, allows for both PWM and DC/voltage control on their headers.

I'm betting, since its a hub, it isnt sending proper rpm signals back so the motherboard cant acknowledge its there. Id disable monitorinr for it as suggested earlier in the other thread.

I have seen this, yes. I had one years ago but haven't seen it on the boards I have owned since then. Is this more common on higher end boards?

Back